Healthy Eating, how can I change my diet

I am like the queen of junk food, but I want to be more cautious of the things I consume because I know it will have an affect on my child in the long run. Like are there certain types of food I should and shouldnt consume. I ve been trying to read up on these things but its always best to hear it from someone whom is experienced in that area.

Thanks in Advance

moe042789

Asked by moe042789 at 10:28 PM on May. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Don't eat a lot of foods containing High Fructose Corn Syrup. It's a major factor in obesity which can cause complications in pregnancy (like gestational diabetes). Try and eat as natural and whole as possible. Whole grain breads and pasta, brown rice, etc.

The Brewer Diet or Bradley Diet are excellent for pregnant women. It HELPS reduce gestational diabetes and pre-E.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:33 PM on May. 10, 2009

• there are foods you should avoid; undercooked meats (med well is the lowest), sushi, lunch meat not warmed to steaming, soft cheeses....
    as far as the junk food goes, just try to cut back on it, when i wanted something "junky" i would force myself to eat something healthy first if i felt i hadn't had enough healthy foods for the day, then if i was still snacky i would get some junk. you can buy stuff that has less sugar or is sugar free. try jello its sweet but sugar free. if the junk you eat is more along the lines of microwave stuff and quick meals, take each sunday make stuff you can freeze yourself and microwave throughout the week. pack your lunches for work etc and it will help you to change your eating habits. and the biggie, if its not in the house, you won't be tempted by it, so buy less of it and more of the healthy stuff.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:34 PM on May. 10, 2009

• stay away from unpasteurized dairy products! And raw foods like sushi!!
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 10:36 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Sugar free sweetners aren't very good idea either.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:37 PM on May. 10, 2009

• my nutritionist told me its good to eat fatty/greasy junk food ONCE IN AWHILE during pregnany (not to be taken as an ok to eat a bunch of crap ONCE IN AWHILE means ONCE IN AWHILE its ok to eat fast food)
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 10:37 PM on May. 10, 2009

• you also have to STAY AWAY from caffeine (ok to have VERY little..a cup of coffee is to much)
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 10:43 PM on May. 10, 2009

• My doctor told me that it was ok to eat junk food just not to much of it. And a cup of coffee is fine but you have to make sure if you have coffee that you drink more watter through the day. My doctor told me for the most part that everything that i had before was fine just to eat everything in moderation. Un cooked meat i know is bad and so is suchi. Other than that i think everything is fine. But with me when it came to eating healthy because i love the junk food also....I actually started to crave carrots and broccoli.lol. But i started wanting those insted of chips and other junk food. Good luck! and congrats!
    Anonymous

• Your instincts are correct; you need to be healthy, have a healtyy baby, and set a great example for your child. Drink lots of water, at least 8 8oz glasses a day. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables, 7-8 servings a day in at least three different colors. Replace your white/simple grains like white bread, brown rice and white pasta with whole grains like brown rice, whole grain breads, whole wheat pasta, barley, quinoa; they are loaded with fiber, protein and lots of good vitamins and minerals. Cut way back on, or eliminate meat and dairy. Plant based proteins and calcium is so much better for you, there is a great article here: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/strong_bones.html
    For good fats, you can eat an egg every day, eat an avocado every day, sprikle ground flax seeds or drizzle flax or hemp oil in salads, hot cereal, etc.
    Feel free to contact me directly with any questions or for recipe ideas.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:59 AM on May. 11, 2009

• heres a great healthy recipe that i just love

1lb. boneless skinless chickenbreasts
    salt and pepper to taste
    2 cloves minced garlic
    1 cup chicken broth
    1/2 lb asparagus(CUT INTO 2 INCH PIECES)
    4 oz roasted red peppers (CHOPPED)
    2 roma tomatoes (CHOPPED)
    1/2 cup mozzerella cheese
    Basalmic Vinegar to taste

season chicken w/ salt and pepper. cook chicken in 1/2 cup broth till chicken is almost done (15min) keep adding mor e broth if it evaporates. when chicken is almost done add roasted pepper, asparagues, and garlic. and cook until chicken is done and asparagus is tender. Add tomoatoes during last 2 minuets. Top with cheese to serve and drizzle with vinegar.
    ClvDandJ

Answer by ClvDandJ at 9:51 AM on May. 11, 2009