book question

i am looking at this from a christian perspective--was wondering if anything thinks that Twilight series books and movie are non-christian--or that we as christians should not read them--i am basing this on references like dungeon and dragons, horror flicks--i know some people think that type of thing is non-christian. what are your thoughts on Twilight

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:34 PM on May. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm a Christian and I loved Twilight - I even picked up on themes about overcoming our "nature" and being better than we're "supposed" to be. It even addresses souls and things like that. There's nothing wrong with it, nothing contradictory to Christianity, and anyone who says so hasn't read it or is just saying so because its about vampires and vampires are "bad".
    If they actually read the book they'll see that there's nothing "bad" about it.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:44 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I even believe the author follows some form of Christianity - I think she's a Mormon?
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:47 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I think it's a personal decision. I don't think Twilight is decidedly unChristian. However the stories are fantasy-based, and the characters are vampires and werewolves. I see it as entertainment, so I'm personally not bothered by it. I actually read mostly that genre of fiction anyways. Stephanie Meyers, the author, is Mormon.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 10:47 PM on May. 10, 2009

• And I agree with bandgeek that most of those who say it's not a series that should be read as Christians have not read it themselves. Just like Harry Potter, there was a huge stink about that series as well. Once read, even the Vatican approved.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 10:50 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I never understood what non-Christian was. Anything not directly involved in promoting the Christian faith could be viewed as non-Christian. This includes eating cereal and riding your bike lol. I guess people mean "anti-Christian?" As in, is the Twilight Series contrary to the Christian faith to the point where it offends and even contradicts what we believe?

I couldn't say. I haven't read it.

Should we keep ourselves from reading something that differs from our views in-general? Absolutely not. Knowing the ideas and perceptions of others only affirms my faith for me. You don't have to believe in material contrary to Christianity but you can be aware of it. I don't think Jesus ever asked any of us to keep our heads in the sand.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:15 PM on May. 10, 2009

• wonderful response, NovemberLove! ITA, especially the part about people with their heads in the sand! I've said that on a few occasions, lol.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:28 PM on May. 10, 2009

• WIICCCCCCCCCCCCCAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNSSSSSSSSSSSS RUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I don't think Christians should be reading the twilight series. Here is a good article and I agree with it.   http://carylmatrisciana.com/x2/content/view/81/1/

luvmybabieskna

Answer by luvmybabieskna at 7:24 AM on May. 11, 2009

• Wow. the link above me is obviously written by a group of radical christians, the very same type of people that burn books. I personally feel that if a FICTION book can sway your religous beliefs they weren't near strong enough to begin with. Twilight is FICTION as is Harry Potter, In the Harry Potter series and Twilight there is nothing based out of wiccan religion. They don't cast circles or preform rituals. In Twilight, Edward even has a huge moral issue with himself being a vampire and his belief in god, is what keeps him from changing Bella until there is no other option but to let the love of his life die.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on May. 11, 2009

• Indeed, anon, if someone's faith is so weak that they're scared of a fictional story being a stumbling block, that's their problem, not mine. I can differentiate between fantasy and reality. Vampires aren't real (at least not in the literal sense), nor is magic (IMO, no offense to anyone who believes in it, I just haven't experienced it), and I don't believe that fiction, made up stories and concepts, really hurts anything. Its not like I'm going to think I can curse someone just because I read HP, or that vampires are real and awesome, just because I read Twilight.
    They're stories, make believe, pretend, and they're not meant to change your life or your ideology.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:14 AM on May. 11, 2009