why is child abuse so overlooked?

I am just wondering, i dont mean to start a debate or anything i am just wondering, my nephew i abused and i wonder why it ius over looked?

MammaSherry

Asked by MammaSherry at 10:35 PM on May. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• i'm assuming you meant to say is abused, and i would also assume since you think it is easily overlooked than you have said something to someone? its overlooked when no one steps in and does something to protect the child, parents are supposed to but if they don't or are the ones doing the abusing than someone else has to
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:38 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Yes, sorry i did mean is abused, and yes i have reported it and nothing that is why i am wondering.
    MammaSherry

Answer by MammaSherry at 10:40 PM on May. 10, 2009

• IMO because people are afraid to or are to lazy step up and actually look into the parents and who they associate with, their past the parents mental condition etc... if they did this there would likely be fewer cases....
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 10:52 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I believe its overlooked because the concept of abuse is generally too wide. I could discipline a child and lets say for example be in s.c. and it would be looked upon as me abusing the child and being overly hard as oppose to some place else where you can punch a child in the face and it will be okay. I believe there is a fine line btw discipline and abuse and sad to say ones that are overlooked sometimes end up to be fatal. There is no real reason why it is overlooked but I wish your nephew the best and hopes he gets out the situation. But try and get proof that he is being abused and go in person if nothing is done then you report the place.
    moe042789

Answer by moe042789 at 10:55 PM on May. 10, 2009

• If you believe that his is being physically and mentally abused in the real fashion of abuse then PLEASE keep pursuing with getting him help. But make sure that what you consider abuse is not just parents being strict and within the legal limits of the law. If he has marks on his body, is constantly told that he is worthless, is constantly neglected, then he is being abused. If he is being yelled at, having his toys taken away, is being put on restriction, is being swatted on the butt over his clothes with just a hand, then he is NOT being abused.
    Speak to a representative at your Department of Social Services to find out more information about child abuse.
    Above all else, be a constant presence in his life. No matter what is going on, he needs your love and support.
    Best wishes!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 12:14 PM on May. 11, 2009

• People see abuse as most anything so while they report bull shit the real abuse cases are overlooked
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on May. 17, 2009