When and where to get baby girl's ears pierced?

I'm expecting a little girl in July and my husband and I agree that we want to get her ears pierced. How old was your LO when you did the ear piercing? We're hoping to get it done while she is still a baby. Where did you get it done - hospital, doc's office or mall/jewelery store? Thanks for the advice!

AidansMom319

Asked by AidansMom319 at 10:45 PM on May. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• IMO, when? When she is old enough to ask. But, if you are going to do it anyway, go to a licensed piercer, using a piercing needle. This goes for adults and children.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:47 PM on May. 10, 2009

• my daughters ears aren't pierced hubby wanted to do it, but i told him when i was younger i didn't get it done til i was about 9 and it was a big day, went for lunch w/my mom, shopping etc...so it was made into a fun girls day. but i do know most docs offices will do it and i would reccomend going there to do it b/c most mall/jewelry places you never know if they are sanitary at least at the doctors office you know its clean.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:47 PM on May. 10, 2009

• My daughter had it done at 2 months at a place in the mall that would do both at once with clean needles and guns
    ckmomof2

Answer by ckmomof2 at 10:49 PM on May. 10, 2009

• My SO and I decided that we would wait and make it a special day when she is old enough to decide. I think that we will go somewhere that can do and it clean. I will do my research when the time comes.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:49 PM on May. 10, 2009

• My girls where 3 months & we did it at Wal Mart.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 10:53 PM on May. 10, 2009

• We pierced my daughters ears at 8 months. I got my second holes that day as well. We have it all on video. We got it done at the piercing pagoda. They use piercing earrings, which are obviously clean and unused. It was totally clean and neither me nor my daughter had any irritation at all.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:55 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Most places can't do it untill after the 2 month shots. I got my son's ear pierced at Piercing Pagoda at the mall.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 11:09 PM on May. 10, 2009

• i did my daughters at 4 months. we went to the piercing pagoda at the mall. i made sure that the lady had done infants before.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 11:27 PM on May. 10, 2009

• It depends on law. Some places the child has to be 6 months old, other places they don't. In Kentucky a parent must have a paper signed by a frieking notary if they want their child's ear's pierced. My children are hispanic and in many cases the babies get their ears pierced when they are a few days old. My oldest was 3 when we had hers done. It scared her more than anything, and she kept playing with them so they got infected and it took a while for me to get the infection out. No antibiotics were needed. My youngest had hers done when she was 6 weeks old. A friend, who is hispanic, pierced her ears. She did all of her daughter's ears and her granddaughters. My dd hasn't had a problem with them and she looks great!
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 11:33 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Ok well JMO, and I know many people disagree with me, but I think it's incredibly mean to pierce your child's ears before they ask for it. It's purely a cosmetic thing and I don't think it's fair to enforce your wants on your child without their permission. So I don't think piercings should be done until a child is old to ask for it for themselves. I have 3 daughters and not one of them has felt the desire to pierce their ears. And you know, it's not my ears to pierce. If I wanna embellish something I have my entire body to play with. My childrens bodies belongs to THEM. And I think it's incredibly selfish to cosmetically alter a child's body without their say.

Soap box. I know. :)
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 11:36 PM on May. 10, 2009