How does having a baby change things? PIOG

I posted something similar in one of my groups but I wanted to ask ALL ladies out there....For those of you that were young and still completely in love with your men when you first got pregnant, how did the baby change things? Like, did you guys still find ways to have fun together? Did all the romance and excitement in the relationship just fly out of the window?? I'm sure it is something that takes a lot of work. But maybe if you truly love each other enough, it doesn't have to end all of the fun, right? Thanx! :)

LittleMonster22

Asked by LittleMonster22 at 10:51 PM on May. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Maybe it's because we'd already been together for more than ten years when our son was born, but romance changed not a whit. Neither of us is the moonlight and roses type anyway. And when you've been together for so long, you exchange excitement for understanding. And that is REALLY important when you face the challenges of a baby.

It changes the fun. But our definition of fun had already been changing anyway so having a baby fit right in.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:55 PM on May. 10, 2009

• it completely ruined my relationship when i got pregnant with my daughter's father.. BUT my boyfriend and i now have been off and on for 4 1/2 years and very much love eachother. even if we have to take the baby(like going to eat, walking to the park,etc.) we still do. we try to do things that we can take her along. he claims her as his, which makes things even better..
    sunshinebaby209

Answer by sunshinebaby209 at 10:55 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I hate how people say that babies change their lives.
    I believe it don't really CHANGE lives.. just adds another fun filled adventure that everyday brings..
    My life surely didn't change, just that I had one more person in my life.
    Anonymous

• My relationship completely changed. It went from him being my everything to me loving my daughter so much sometimes i feel like theres no room for anything else. He works and I stay at home with the baby and he thinks i do absolutely nothing. He doesnt clean up ne thing and thinks that i should do every single thing around the house because the job I have doesnt bring home a paycheck. I really try to see the good in him but at the end of the day when its 11pm and im just getting the baby down, covered in baby spit up havent had a shower and im so excited to eat my cold meal because im starving to death I cannot help but HATE him
    nursinghannah

Answer by nursinghannah at 11:26 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Our relationship did change, definitely. Part of it is that before having kids he was my 'greatest love'... after having a baby, though I still love him just as much, I have now experienced that mother love where you will lay down your life defending your child and not think twice about it... and I'm sure that dh feels the same about the kids as well. It changes your priorities in that sense, that I know for us the focus shifted from us to the wellbeing of the children. That being said, we still love each other, we still do things together, we still laugh together a lot, and the kids are one more thing we have in common. It didn't ruin our relationship, but there was an adjustment period, and becoming parents did change things. Not necessarily in a bad way, but definitely change.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:38 PM on May. 10, 2009

• My relationship changed with my husband and it has been an adjustment but it definately did not ruin things. I feel like because we had a strong relationship prior to having our son we were able to manage the stresses that come with having a baby (and completely renovating a house, both changing careers, and moving 60 mile all in a year) bring. My husband and I still have fun together but we generally bring our son with us and enjoy the time even more because we are doing it as a family.
    LindsK

Answer by LindsK at 12:01 AM on May. 11, 2009

• "I hate how people say that babies change their lives.
    My life surely didn't change, just that I had one more person in my life. "

I think it's a matter of experience. For me, it was a change in many things that were part of my life. Some moms see no changes at all, to be sure....but just the existence of that extra person can add an extra load and that is indeed a change.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:37 AM on May. 11, 2009

• my getting pregnant has already changed everything.
    he went from loving me to not wanting me at all.
    we weren't together in the first place.
    but he completely abandoned me after I got preg.
    I'm pregnant and single.
    He wants to be there for the baby.
    Just not me.
    T.Mod

Answer by T.Mod at 8:45 AM on May. 11, 2009