Did you ask for input on naming your baby?

Besides a baby book, did you let others help you pick the name of your baby. I see tons of baby name polls on here and it got me wondering. How many moms actually had help besides a baby book and your hubby/bf with naming your baby. We played a baby naming game at our baby shower but that was just for fun. My husband and I thought long and hard and battled until we agreed on a name. It was our son and we wanted to name him, we didn't want input from anyone. Once he was named that was it there was no input. I am not judging anyone who wants help naming their babies, I just want to know why and if you really use the input!

simplysmiles13

Asked by simplysmiles13 at 11:08 PM on May. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I didn't want to involve friends or family in choosing a name, because I was afraid that people's feelings would be hurt if we didn't pick the one they had suggested.

Answer by Bmat at 11:11 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I never asked anyone what they thought me and my husband picked the name and it wasnt a battle at all. I had a name picked out from the time i was young and suprisingly my husband always wanted the same name so it was easy for us. But i dont see a problem with someone asking for help if they cant decide between two names.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:11 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I did not solicit any help, I picked names that had meaning for us and we then negotiated.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:12 PM on May. 10, 2009

• its my babies name and I will be saying it for the rest of MY life so I dont really care if anyone else likes it or not lol
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 11:21 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I picked out a list of names that I liked and asked my fiance which one he liked the best. We both ended up really liking 1 name so that was the name we chose. However his parents sure had a lot to say about what the baby's middle name should be even though we never asked their opinion.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:52 PM on May. 10, 2009

• My husband's family has a tradition of alternating the name Leonard as the first or middle name each generation for the past five generations. Since my husband's middle name is Leonard my son's first name is now Leonard. This is not the name I would have chosen and my husband felt the same way but we did not want to disappoint his family (no one told us we had to but we knew that his dad was really hoping for it). So we decided to name him Leonard but call him by his middle name, Nolyn. Once he is old enough he can choose the name he wants to be called. Even though Leonard is still not my favorite name I am happy we made the choice because my FIL is so happy and proud to have us carry on the tradition.
    LindsK

Answer by LindsK at 11:55 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I didn't look in baby books or online for any of my children's name, both my husband and I talked it over and came their names on our own. :-) I do like them all, and am happy that we picked them out together.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 12:14 AM on May. 11, 2009

• Im TTC for number #1 and i have names and what not all written down... when DP and i finally get pregnant we are going to write up a lovely letter for our mothers with names we like and differnt plans we have, so that they can comment, make sugestions and tell us what they like and dont like!!!
    sunshine89

Answer by sunshine89 at 5:32 AM on May. 11, 2009

• My husband was the last hope for carrying on the family name in his Italian family, we had two children, one boy. His name was picked out before my huband even met me. We named him Salvatore Anthony. We call him Sam.
    pattigioeli

Answer by pattigioeli at 9:38 AM on May. 11, 2009