What are the do's and don'ts for a mother to ensure her child doesn't grow up "spoiled"?

I'm not going to express my situation just jet. I don't want to impair your judgment or thinking about the question. I'm in desperate need of answers. And yes! this is one of the consequences of celebrating Mother's Day with the in laws. Not a so happy day for me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 PM on May. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'm sorry you had a rotten day!

As for your question... Here's my thoughts:
    Do's:
    Lots of love and attention
    Disicpline starting as a baby. Not punishments but discipline. There's a difference.
    Consistency - if the child doesn't know what the rules are or what the consequences are, he won't know how to behave.

Don'ts:
    Trying to give the child everything you ever had or wanted plus everything he asks for or his friends have.
    Trying to be the child's best friend.
    Trying to keep up with "The Joneses"
    Trying to make up for your own childhood problems.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:00 AM on May. 11, 2009

• JUST MAKE SURE THEY "EARN" THEIR THINGS AND FREEDOMS. YOU KNOW, GOOD GRADES, DOING CHORES. GETTING JOBS & VOLUNTEERING. AND MAKE SURE YOU PUNISH IN SOME WAY FOR INAPPROPRIATE BEHAVIOR, WHETHER IT BE ATTITUDE OR PHYSICAL MISCONDUCT.
    honeybee88

Answer by honeybee88 at 1:08 AM on May. 11, 2009