I already talked to a doctor, but does anybody know anything else to do?

My son is 8.5 months. He has been constipated for almost 2 weeks. The doctor told me to give him karo syrup so I did but it didn't really help. So today when I was changing him I noticed that his bum hole was bleeding a little bit so I called again. The on call nurse told me to give him a warm bath with baking soda 3 times a day for 20 mins each time. Also feed him lots of fruit and veggies to help the constipation. It doesn't help that he's teething too. I have a totally miserable baby!

Does anybody know anything else I could do?

(he was only bleeding a little and it was probably from pushing so hard and the poo being so solid)

OwensMama824

Asked by OwensMama824 at 11:15 PM on May. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Apple juice or prune juice cut 2:1 with water always helped mine. In fact full apple juice will still give my 5 yr old the runs. Karo isn't a good choice for babies under a yr due to the possibilty of harmful spores. It is an old time rememdy but not the best.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:18 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Check with a pharmacist. There are suppositories you can give babies, but I hear they work extremely well, so wait until you are home!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:20 PM on May. 10, 2009

• What are the symptoms? And what is his diet like?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:21 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I tried suppositories. It didn't really do much and it made him cry.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 11:21 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Stupid question: has he done nothing for two weeks or just had problems that long?? If he has done nothing for 2 weeks, is the doctor aware it has been that long?? My doctor said he wouldn't let it go longer than a week!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:21 PM on May. 10, 2009

• he has like 1 little ball of poo every few days
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 11:22 PM on May. 10, 2009

• prune juice works best for my kid.. a little in his bottle diluted,,,,also do exercise with him like lay him on his back and do bicycle runs with his feet/legs... ummm massage his belly in a clockwise motion... umm give him some camomile tea in his bottle with no sugar of course wait till cool or refigerate that will help his fussines and any belly and teething soreness..if you have a health food store near you see if they have a homeopathicthat would help... good luck, hang in there!
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 11:22 PM on May. 10, 2009

• We used the Karo (dark works best) for our 2 month old FD when she had the hard poops. I think it was 1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon, per her Dr. I put it in 2 oz of water, shook it. She got it every morning to keep her regular.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:25 PM on May. 10, 2009

• The poor baby. Prune juice works best. I will give my daughter the fruit and she has no problems going. I don't know if they have stool softeners for babies that young, but you might want to ask. Also make sure he gets lots of green veggies. Those will help him go. If nothing works his doctor needs to check him for something more serious.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 11:27 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I would give him a glycerin suppository now to soften up the poop and get it out. And then to keep him from getting constipated in the future... increase his water intake with each meal, decrease foods on the BRAT diet (Banana's, Rice, Applesauce, Toast- or breads) which bulk things up... and start giving an ounce of pear juice everyday.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:37 PM on May. 10, 2009