I already talked to a doctor, but does anybody know anything else to do?

My son is 8.5 months. He has been constipated for almost 2 weeks. The doctor told me to give him karo syrup so I did but it didn't really help. So today when I was changing him I noticed that his bum hole was bleeding a little bit so I called again. The on call nurse told me to give him a warm bath with baking soda 3 times a day for 20 mins each time. Also feed him lots of fruit and veggies to help the constipation. It doesn't help that he's teething too. I have a totally miserable baby!

Does anybody know anything else I could do?

(he was only bleeding a little and it was probably from pushing so hard and the poo being so solid)

OwensMama824

Asked by OwensMama824 at 11:16 PM on May. 10, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I tried suppositories and it didn't really help.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 11:23 PM on May. 10, 2009

• when my son was constipated, the doctor recommended diluted prune juice or some pureed prunes (you can find them in the baby food aisle).
    asyoulikeit

Answer by asyoulikeit at 11:27 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Oh my goodness! Poor baby! We have been dealing with this also. We have tried everything. The suppositories will only make it worse because it will stick right up into the poo and hurt him. You need to go into the doctor. If he has been constipated that long, they need to take a look at him. They may me able to give him a laxative you mix into formula.

I am a ped. nurse....you need to take him in....this long of constipation is very bad for the bowels.
    mtmom278

Answer by mtmom278 at 11:50 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Prune juice and mix it with a little apple if he won't take it straight or diluted with water. I also would recommend taking him in though. That is an awful long time to be constipated, there could be other issues like maybe he swallowed something that is blocking things trying to come out!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:39 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I agree, prune juice should do the trick.
    Jaha

Answer by Jaha at 7:54 AM on May. 11, 2009

• Did you try giving him an ounce or two of water? A couple weeks ago my little girl was really constipated, she had to poop but couldn't get it out because it was too solid. This sounds gross but it really helped her out. I laid a diaper underneath her bum, and then took some petroleum jelly and put it on her bum hole (you have to get a little inside too) and then I took her legs and kinda pushed them into her stomach a little bit til she started trying to go poop. Then after she pooped a little, I cleaned her up and put some more jelly on her and a diaper so she could poop some more if she needed too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:16 AM on May. 11, 2009

• Give him apple juice
    sassy43082

Answer by sassy43082 at 8:19 AM on May. 11, 2009

• PRUNES!

You may want to let your doctor know that the Karo Syrup company does not endorse giving their product to infants because it carries a risk of botulism (just like honey).
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 8:37 AM on May. 11, 2009

• Somtimes it can be the (iron) in the formula- ask the doctor if you could try a diffrent forrnula. If he is still constipated insist on a appointment. Is he on baby food yet? My baby poops alot when he eats fruit. Ask the doc if he can start fruit yet. Good Luck.
    pamom222

Answer by pamom222 at 8:41 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I though it said he was 5 months instead of 8.5 months (OOPS) lol
    Instead of 1 or 2 oz of water, try about 4 oz.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on May. 11, 2009