How can I get my 4 yr. old son to poop in the potty instead on the floor? He pees in the potty, just not poop. Please help!

My son refuses to sit on the potty and poop and will go elsewhere in the house. He has no problem peeing in the potty, it's just the pooping. I'm getting so fustrated and don't know what to do. I'm expecting and hope that he gets this help before the new one is here. He's been doing this for about 5 months on and off. Thanks.

Elaina_29

Asked by Elaina_29 at 11:25 PM on May. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think this s a boy issue. My son had that problem for a very long time. He finally got that he should not pee in his underwear or his shorts, but he had problems pooping. I would always find him after he pooped, with poop on his body or on the floor. I was getting so annoyed. I thought it was because he was lazy, but then I read that boys bowel movements are more random than girls. So apparently it is harder for boys to gauge if they have to poop. Only in the last couple of days has he started pooping in the potty. If i see him starting to strain or turn red, I ask him if he needs to poop and we run to the potty together. I put him on there and tell him that he can't watch tv, play with toys, eat, etc.. until he poops in the potty. He has to stay on it. And now he is willing to do it, and he loves the praise and high fives. Good Luck!!
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 11:52 PM on May. 10, 2009

• He is plenty old enough to take responsibility for his actions, IMO..... I would make him clean up his own poop, if he went anywhere except the toilet! ~~ AND, I would put him back in diapers if he was being defiant and refusing!
    Call me mean, but he is playing his cards and being the one "in control"...It's time to have a new man(woman) in charge in the house!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 1:24 AM on May. 11, 2009