• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't know what else to do...

I'm suffering from PPD and I'm in threapy. My threapist told me that I should let my hubby take care of our child so that I can get a break. (I'm a SAHM too). My problem is my hubby sits in front of his X-Box all day and pays little attention to his son. He lets him cry and I have to stop my "me time" to tell him to feed him. It's so simple! My LO is on a schedule so his dad knows when to feed him He's just lazy.

I'm suppose to take my "me time" but I can't when my son is being treated second to my hubby's stupid games.

What do I do???

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 PM on May. 10, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (12)
  • Take away the X-Box.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 PM on May. 10, 2009

  • Or hire a sitter and make him PAY someone else to care for your child and leave the house. When he has to pay someone, he might wake up. Call a nanny service that is certified. You do not give up your "me time" you keep it, you need it.

    Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:42 PM on May. 10, 2009

  • Break the x-box. It gets the message across.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 PM on May. 10, 2009

  • Can he attend a session with you so that the counselor can communicate to him how important this is for you? Your husband does need to be more supportive to you, PPD is really serious. The XBox needs to go.

    Answer by KadensMom907 at 11:59 PM on May. 10, 2009

  • explain exactly what you need him to do. the babies schedule and everything and leave the house for your me time. that way you don't spend it telling him what to do. if you are worried the baby won't be taken care of call one of his friends that you are close to explain your problem and ask them if they want to drop by for you to hang out with your husband but that way someone else is keeping an eye out. and maybe with a friend saying hey man your kid needs you he'll take it more into account. crap i know, but it worked for my hubby when i wanted me time and he would call and say she wouldn't stop crying. as far as breaking of taking away the xbox, my dh would probably go get a new one and then resent me over it. hes a grown man not a kid so you can't "ground" him from something

    Answer by vabchmommy at 12:00 AM on May. 11, 2009

  • Therapists live in a fantasy world not in the real world. They give you ideal situations. I've never seen one of their ideal situations work out yet. Let's deal in reality. Hubby's not going to give up his xbox and if you break it he might hurt you so that's out. Tell hubby to come up with sitter money so you can have a day off and he can stick the xbox...ok don' t go that far. I wouldn't have a man watch a child who allows the child to just cry. Find a friend (if you can't hire a sitter) and trade off watching each other's kids for a few hours a week, find a Mother's Day out care center to get some time alone. There is always a way but I don't think leaving the baby with dad is the answer. Do you have a mom or mother in law or other family who could help?

    Answer by admckenzie at 12:30 AM on May. 11, 2009

  • A therapists advice CAN work if the parties involved are willing to actually TRY it. I'm living proof of that.

    Time to take hubby to the therapist.

    And then make this a make or break situation. He helps,. or he gets really acquainted with his hand because you're not putting out for him till he leanrs to help.

    Losing the X-Box would also be a good idea.

    Answer by gdiamante at 12:33 AM on May. 11, 2009

  • Well If I lived close to you I would come and love to watch your baby for you for a few hours so you could relax and have some me time....I know it is hard, and just know, that it will get better. I was a single mother and my kids were 16 months apart, I would get them to sleep and then I would take a long bubble bath and make sure I had the baby moniter with me. Good luck sweetie. The other thing that helped me was just to breath. It only takes a minute to close your eyes and take a deep breathe and relax when you need a momentary break for reality for a minute.

    Answer by dolphinkisses at 12:45 AM on May. 11, 2009

  • get rid of the xbox

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on May. 11, 2009

  • Leave the house and take the XBox cords with you!

    Seriously, though, hubby needs to go with you to the therapist's office and hear it firsthand. If he still can't get it together, hire a mother's helper or a babysitter while you get out.

    Answer by mictamali at 2:24 AM on May. 11, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.