how do i get rid of that white stuff?

My son is 3 weeks and 6 days old, for the last week or so I have noticed that his tongue has this white stuff stuck on it, I was told it may be thrush and now I need to know does anyone know how to get rid of it or should I call his doctor?

dbarkley101306

Asked by dbarkley101306 at 12:19 AM on May. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, you need to take him to the Dr. He needs to get some medication which you will be able to apply topically to his tongue.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on May. 11, 2009

• if its thrush, that is basically a yeast infection in his mouth so he needs to see a doctor. if when you wipe his mouth out and it doesn't bleed and goes away it may just be leftover breast milk/formula. but since it's been so long i would call his doctor and ask if they can check it to be sure
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:22 AM on May. 11, 2009

• well when my children got it i took a really warm wash cloth and kind of massaged it on there tongue, u can tel it is thrush by looking on the top of his roof and if there is white stuff on the roof of his mouth it is most likely thrush
    ashleystoner86

Answer by ashleystoner86 at 12:22 AM on May. 11, 2009

• You can skip the doctor if you want to. My dd had it for several months after trying 6 bottles of Nystatin which is what they recommend. The doc kept telling me to be patient but that medicine doesnt work on every baby. What did work is Genetian Violet which can be bought at Walgreens or CVS at the Pharmacy. Read up on it. It is messy but works quickly and is safe. Take care of it now because it gets worse over time.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:22 AM on May. 11, 2009

• Most likely its thrush & you should call his doctor so he get started on antibiotics. Do you breastfeed? you may need some ointment &/or nipple shields/etc. It will be fine just make an appt. good luck!
    whispers2005

Answer by whispers2005 at 12:23 AM on May. 11, 2009

• Get your little one to the doctor soon. If it is thrush then they can give you some medicine for it. They can also make sure that it is not really bad.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 12:23 AM on May. 11, 2009

• Thrush is a yeast infection, and if you are unable to wipe the white stuff away then call your doctor asap.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 12:23 AM on May. 11, 2009

• and yes if it is thrush you need to get the oitment perscribed by a doctor or will not go away
    ashleystoner86

Answer by ashleystoner86 at 12:23 AM on May. 11, 2009

• Yes, this is thrush. Be aware that doctors often give stuff that makes it WORSE...nystatin contains sugar which feeds the yeast.

Great over the counter remedies on kellymom.com.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:24 AM on May. 11, 2009

• is it white, and it won't go away when you swipe at it with your finger? does it bleed when you try to scrub it off? if so, then it's thrush. you can call the doc and they'll give him antibiotic for it, btw, if you're breastfeeding, you can get it also. or you can go to walgreens, get Gentian violet, and use that. get q tips and rub it in his mouth 2-3 times a day for about 3 days. it's purple and it stains clothes really bad, so make sure he wears something you don't care about. yes, his mouth will be purple for a few days but i promise it will go away. it's actually faster than the antibiotics the doc will give you, that normallly takes about 2 weeks. i used this on my son, it worked like a charm. wal mart doesn't carry them anymore, i had to go to walgreens. i even asked the pharmacist how to use it (i didn't mention what i was using it for) he just laughed and told me to make sure my son wears big bibs. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:26 AM on May. 11, 2009