group b strep-diagnosed on baby after birth HELP!!!

so i guess my baby is colicy. we thought we had a good system going but the other night she developed a fever and we were in the hospital with her for 3 days. she was diagnosed with group b strep. i was tested while pregnant and she was a c-section from breech delivery. so how did she get this???
since we got her home and she has been given a spinal, multiple tests and antbiotics and has horrible diaper rash and diahrrea she just wont stop screaming. she is on antibiotics at home for 7 more days and they gave us mylecon or something for the gas but it doesnt seem to work. she wont sleep for more than 10 to 20 minutes and i dont know what to do?? ive tried what seems like everything. does anyone know?? i can only assume this is from the stress and pain she is in but i feel helpless!!!

charlene29

Asked by charlene29 at 12:45 AM on May. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i forgot to mention my test durng pregnancy for this group b thing came back negative.
    charlene29

Answer by charlene29 at 12:46 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I am not sure about the strep thing, but when my babies were little, they all had colic really bad. The best thing my mother ever taught me was to take one of the peppermint hard candies, put it in 2 ounces of hot water for about 15 mins. Then take the mint out and then add 2 sounces of cold water so that is room temp and then let the little one drink about an ounce of it. It calmed all three of my babies down when they were first born.
    dolphinkisses

Answer by dolphinkisses at 12:49 AM on May. 11, 2009

• There are a few ways a baby can get strep other than having a vaginal birth... a few might be if your membranes we ruptured for a long period of time, if you had a fever during labor... and even if you weren't positive when they did the test doesn't mean you didn't become positive afterwards at some point. I'm sure there are several more ways, I would ask your OB about it.
    Her diaper rash is very likely from being on antibiotics... she might have really bad diarrhea which is common with antibiotics and also at risk for a yeast infection... so if she isn't on an antifungal diaper cream I would ask for some.
    If she is very fussy I would NOT assume it's gas. She might be sick still and I would bring her back to see the pediatrician ASAP.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:55 AM on May. 11, 2009