? about terminating lease...not early but end of

I've looked through my lease hundreds of times and have seen nothing stating a specific amount of days for a notice terminating my lease (not an early termination just end of lease) all I've seen is if it turns Month to Month give a 30 day notice and 30 days before the lease ends display of signs like for sale/rent.....so what do I do our lease ends on july31 and would like a very smooth termination with as much of our deposit back as possible.....going crazy with this so any help will be greatly appreciated

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:16 AM on May. 11, 2009 in Home & Garden

• if it ends july 31 and you want to move out, than at the end of june you should notify your landlord just to be on the safe side. it probably just is saying if you don't notify that you are moving than it automatically goes on a month to month. if you really want to make things easier and have a nice landlord you could let them know now, that you plan on moving out when the lease is up, that gives them more notice to rent the property to someone else. as for your deposit, most will keep a majority of it for cleaning of carpets, and painting the inside of the house at the least which is something that is usually done in between tenants no matter how you leave the house/apartment looking.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:38 AM on May. 11, 2009

• it is still good ettiquitte to give 30 days that is all you r required to do and know your rights when it comes to what u r responsible for ie: you r not responsible for regular wear and tear if you have been there 1-2 years and it needs new carpet not you expence (in cali) so look up the renters right and responsibilities in your area
    lilmammaweisner

Answer by lilmammaweisner at 3:43 AM on May. 11, 2009

• Ok you need to call your landlord up and let him know you will be out by 7/31 and that you would also like to set up and walk-thur with him. You should call your landlord no later then the last week of june, You want to give him notice as soon as you know that you have another place you also can't call your landlord no later then 6/30 to have it be 30 days notice. The more notice you give that your moving out the better it is. You just have to make sure you are out and the apartment is broom clean. Your apartment should look like it did when you moved in and you should fix whatever damage and you should have no problems getting your full deposit back. Also don't count on your deposit to put down on your new apartment a landlord has 30 days to pay you your deposit. At least thats the rental law in my state call your city hall and find out what the rental laws are in your state. It can be different from state to state and town t
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 6:04 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I would recommend sending a letter of intent by certified return receipt in the mail. This way the landlord is required to sign for the letter and you will have a receipt that shows that he / she received it. It's not nasty, it's covering your bases. Most apartments have white walls. You can spackle and paint the walls where you have hung things up (if you have), clean spots on the carpet and clean the apt. The less they have to do for a new tenant, the more of your deposit you will get back. I have moved out of apts where I have gotten the whole deposit back because we borrowed a friend's carpet cleaner and did that ourselves.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on May. 11, 2009