i normally just throw my laundry in...how do i do it the real way lol

All my clothes are coming out smelly still...well the smell moldy so my sister told me to wash them in warm or hot water but how do I do that without shrinking everything? Am I suppose to separate the colors, darks, lights? Add bleach to lights? Should I wash the towels and dish rags separate as well and add bleach so it gets rid of that smell? LOL...sorry my mom never really showed me, please help.

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 2:22 AM on May. 11, 2009 in Home & Garden

• seperate your colors from your whites at the least, that way you can bleach the whites. warm water won't shrink or cost as much as hot water does. you may want to seperate the darker colors from the lighter ones to prevent the darks from "dying" your lighter colors, like light blues pinks etc..w/black the black bleeds onto the other colors. so that is why you would seperate the darks from lights. as for bleaching lights, no you can only bleach whites w/reg bleach. you can get bleach for colors and use that on the others if you want. turn on the washer add the soap let it fill then add your clothes. make sure you take them out as soon as they are done to dry them or they will get that moldy smell. fabric softener works for the smell too, i like the ones you can put in the dryer more than what you add to the wash. and i wash my towels seperately as well,but that is b/c the lint gets stuck on other clothes and they take longer CO
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:34 AM on May. 11, 2009

• dry than other clothes and you can wash them on hot and not worry about them shrinking so you can kill anything that may be growing on them (bath towels from being wet after the shower cleaning stuff ones from whatever you cleaned being on them) hope that helps a bit
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:35 AM on May. 11, 2009

• actually the smell is probably coming from the washer itself. Take a hand towel and use some bleach water. Wipe down inside under the edge of the washer. Take out the center fabric softener thing and scrub it out. Some people lift the top of the washer and clean it that way. Ihave never done that.
    After it is wiped down inside and out, pour a cup of bleach in the washer with some hot water and run it empty. Do two rinses. Then when your washer is empty leave it open to dry.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:29 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I agree that the smell is probably coming from your washer; front loaders are notorius for this. Throw a quart of vinegar and a cup of baking soda in the machine and run a cold cycle. Always leave the washer open after you talk out the clean clothes so it dries properly. You can wash all of your clothes in cold water; separate the darks, white and colors. Use mesh bags, also called lingerie bags, for delicates.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:13 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I separate towels, darks, reds/pinks/oranges, whites/lights and hubby's dirty work clothes. I wash the towels and work clothes on hot, everything else on warm. I start the water, add detergent, then layer the clothes but don't pack down too full & throw in a Downy ball (that part can be skipped) I've heard to let jeans air dry and they won't shrink but I dry everything. Make sure you're putting clothes into the dryer shortly after washing so they don't sit & get musty.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 6:39 AM on May. 11, 2009

• my laundry habit goes like this. separate the whites, darks, colors/lights. the whites get hot water, vinegar and bleach (because there are dish/cleaning rags and usually cloth diapers in these loads and I want everything DEAD). The darks get cold water soap and a little vinegar. The colors/lights get warm water, soap and soap. Some times the colors/lights get hot water, soap and vinegar if I am washing bedding and towels in it. mind you I didn't get so anal about this over night. it took me years to decide the way I do my wash. lol.

but I concur that the moldy smell is probably coming from the washer it self.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:33 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I always wash my towels separate from the rest of the clothes. Don't use fabric softener on the towels, they will be more absorbent.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on May. 11, 2009

• We had that same problem a couple of months ago and we had to scrub out the washer machine to make it go away. I scrubbed it out with bleach and then ran the rinse cycle 3 times and let it dry for a half hour and i havent had the problem since.
    zacharysmommie2

Answer by zacharysmommie2 at 4:02 PM on May. 11, 2009