Temper tantrums in public places...

Do you let your toddler have temper tantrums in public?

What do you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 AM on May. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my kids were younger, I would or wouldn't depending on circumstances. Throwing a fit because they want to leave and go somewhere else. Fine throw yourself down and scream. We'll leave when I'm ready. Throwing a fit because you want a toy...I'd usually try and remove them from the temptation by going to a different section of the store, or handing them something they could have (like a snack). Temper tantrums at parks, libraries, or anywhere else "fun", I'd leave.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 3:00 AM on May. 11, 2009

• Do I "let" them? No.

They go into time out right then and there until they are done. Just like at home.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:42 AM on May. 11, 2009

• Pick them up and move them to a location where they won't annoy people (besides you, of course); it is best to take them home (unless the TT is about wanting to go home).

Answer by rkoloms at 6:08 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I don't let him but he does. He really doesn't tantrum but he's a screamer so he'll scream through the store if he's upset. I strap him in the cart and ignore him if he doesn't actually need something. Generally he's just upset he can't run through the store. If we're at a quiet place like the library, we leave. He doesn't do this in fun places, just places he doens't want to be.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 9:46 AM on May. 11, 2009

• At this age, when my son had a temper tantrum in public, he went into time out in the car. If he didn't calm down, then we went home. The next time we went to the same place, we went over the expectations of his behavior and what would happen if he didn't behave. He generally only had temper tantrums if he was tired or if he wanted something he couldn't have. Now, he's almost 4 and has only had once temper tantrum in public in the last 6 months because of a toy he wanted but could not have. I allowed him to have his tantrum at the store (he's getting too big for me to carry out) and then we went about our business after he calmed down. He hasn't had a tantrum since and knows going in what the expectations are for his behavior along with the consequences. Just make sure that when you do go out that your little one is neither tired nor hungry - these are almost always tantrum triggers.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:54 AM on May. 11, 2009