what age did you put your child in preschool?

i wanted to put my son in preschool at age 3 but most of the schools in my town require the children to be potty trained. my son is 2 1/2 and i don't think he'll be fully potty trained anytime soon. what did you guys do?

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 2:48 AM on May. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You don't have to put him in preschool. You can just teach him things at home. As long as he interacts with some kids (church groups, local play group, etc.) he should be developmentally equal (if not more advance) than his peers once he enters kinder.

Honestly, if you are a stay at home mom or you have the time, then I wouldn't send him to preschool. He will get much more attention and in the long run learn so much more than going to preschool.

Plus it's cheaper!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:53 AM on May. 11, 2009

• My son was out of diapers at 19 1/2 months. Still, I do not believe he needs more than one year of preschool before kindergarten, so he will be four years old when he starts.

I would not put a child in preschool still in diapers. They might get teased by the other kids who are potty trained. If he's not out of diapers by the time school begins, it doesn't sound like you'll have an option. You can try teaching him to use the potty over the summer and see what happens. He might surprise you.
    DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 2:58 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I sent all of my kids to preschool when they were three. They all loved it!
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 3:21 AM on May. 11, 2009

• if u dont need to put him in preschool ie work or school please dont cherish the time you have with him and my oldest son didnt potty train completely until he was 3 yrs.... it was funny cause he and his brother r 2 years apart and my next child is only 13 months younger than that i had three in diapers (pull ups) at the same time lol that was a nightmare
    lilmammaweisner

Answer by lilmammaweisner at 3:27 AM on May. 11, 2009

• The plan wasn't to send them at all. However, due to their challenges, it was recommended I start them in preschool...so we did. My oldest was four. Once we got him OUT of Headstart (ours locally SUCKS) he started thriving and working through his challenges. (fine motor skill, SPD, social delays, possible PDD-NOS)

My second son is three and will be starting next fall going every day. (he goes two days a week now that we pay for) He will be in an integrated 3 year old class because he's globally delayed and while he doesn't need the academics (doing kindergarten work) he needs the help with SPD and social delays, plus it will be easier for him to receive his speech therapy, OT and PT.

Preschool here is only 2 1/2 hours a day.

But, as I said...if it wasn't for their challenges, I wouldn't have sent or be sending them at all. They'd have gone right to kindergarten.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:39 AM on May. 11, 2009

• Most places require 3 year olds to be potty trianed. If he's almost there and few accidents, they might be accomidating.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:24 AM on May. 11, 2009

• One of my past jobs- I used to work @ a Goddard School. You can teach the same things @ home if you want to stay @ home with him. I suggest going to the library their is usually a story time every week. The same Moms usually hang out at the local park/ playground - so you have people to talk to, and he can play with other kids. I like Dora and Blues Clues for tv shows- cause they are educational and keep a young childs interest. If you must put him in Preschool spend a few hours there- do not take a quickie tour- so you know what it is like. Remember he will probably be exposed to more germs ie. have more colds when he starts there. Buy a DVD about potty training that he can watch. They have DvDs out there showing kids using the toliet with songs for preschoolers to watch. Buy him a book about it also. Good Luck.
    pamom222

Answer by pamom222 at 8:55 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I started my daughter at 3. She was potty trained, but I think they offer a program to help you potty train some places because I know they asked me about it when I was first applying.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:05 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I have an appt in August to meet with the local school district to see if they think my son is ready for preschool. He will be 3 in November. In order for him to continue to recieve all his therapy we need to have this appt. They will decide if school or home is better for him, he will recieve therapy either way.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 11:57 AM on May. 11, 2009

• Mine will be 3 this summer and will be starting preschool in the fall. It will be just 2 half days a week. I personally don't care if she learns any ABC's or other "academic" things since I can (and am) teaching her those at home. I'm putting her in so she can start learning to play with other kids, share the toys, learn to listen to the teacher and switch activities easily when told to - things I can't teach her when it's just us.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:10 PM on May. 11, 2009