Does everyone take Lamaze classes?

sry if i spelled it wrong, but just wondering.... do u have to take classes? i am almost 5 months and wondering if i need to sign up for one...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 AM on May. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The breathing does help. I signed up for a weekend class and did it about a week and a half before I was due! It was called "Prepared Childbirth"- not lamaze, but similar. My hubby was with me and all. Halfway through the first class, my water broke. :)
    I couldn't pay attention anymore, but we sat through the rest of it (wasn't feeling any urgency and the birth center was right upstairs).
    I had my daughter that night. I was glad my husband got down the breathing technique, so he could teach it to me in labor! It really does help because, believe it or not, you actually forget to breathe! You need a rhythm to follow!
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 3:58 AM on May. 11, 2009

• i never took them
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:52 AM on May. 11, 2009

• you dont have to, I never signed up for them now im starting to get nervous because im having twins but I hear that it does help tremendously
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 5:13 AM on May. 11, 2009

• There are other classes to prepare you for childbirth, like Bradley. Check with the hospital whre you plan to deliver; most hopitals have an educator who will provide you with class information. The most important class is first aid/CPR; no one should have a child in their care without this. Taking a class in childbirth preparation prepares you and your support person for what will happen in the hospital, and what your options are; I truly believe that knowledge is power, and any decisions that you need to make will be easier if you have the information ahead of time, rather than on that very intense day. Hospitals also offer classes (usually just a couple of hours each) in newborn care, breastfeeding, , nutrition, post-partum exercises; some have support groups for new moms and their babies.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:56 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I didn't. I think it's up to you & what kind of birth experience you're looking for. My husband and I did take the hospital class/tour which was 2-4 hour sessions. It covered the same things that rkoloms listed but also had pain management--either with drugs or going drug free. Search what's available in your area.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 6:34 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I am already certified in Adult/child and infant CPR, i took two courses at my community college.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:10 AM on May. 11, 2009

• The more you put into "learning", the more you will get out of it. I think classes are very important & your baby, yourself & your husband will value the time spent.
    If you want to have a natural birth (i.e. no pain medication, which is best for baby and mom) or you really want to be informed and avoid medical interventions as much as possible, then I recommend The Bradley Birth Method.
    I had my 2 children with no pain medication & loved what I learned so much I recently became a teacher. It's a husband coached class which is great to get them involved & active to be right along side you. It's 12 weeks but it is so comprehensive & you learn so much. It covers pregnancy, labor and delivery, nutrition, exercise, breastfeeding, postpartum care, newborn care, pain relief methods, relaxation techniques, communication, complications & good consumerism of medical care.
    Go to www.bradleybirth.com to find teachers & more info.
    JeanetteA

Answer by JeanetteA at 7:21 AM on May. 11, 2009

• i never took them
    s.teph

Answer by s.teph at 7:21 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I took birthing classes offered by our hosptial, but not specifically Lamaze classes. It is good to take some sort of class for your first so you have an idea of what to expect, but the hospital isn't going to turn you away because you didn't take a class. Ask your midwife or doctor for local classess recomendations.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:26 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I am a planner, so I took a "prepared childbirth" class and it helped me know what to expect. The breathing helped a little bit. It helped to have something else to focus on. Good luck!!
    s.caz2007

Answer by s.caz2007 at 7:31 AM on May. 11, 2009