I am a foster parent in Louisiana. I was wondering if anyone could explain to me what happens after parental rights are terminated. We have a 4 year old child in our care that has been with us for nearly 2 years now. We are currently waiting on a court date to finalize the termination of parental rights. Once that is done, what happens next?

irasmom

Asked by irasmom at 4:05 AM on May. 11, 2009 in Adoption

• The child will be up for adoption. The child will remain in the states supervision until the child is adopted. I hope that help answer your question.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 5:28 AM on May. 11, 2009

• The child will be available for adoption IF the birth parent's don't file an appeal. If an appeal is filed, the child will not be available until the appeal is disposed of. Could take up to a year or longer. If they don't appeal, then the child's case would move to adoptive placement, and in our state, they are assigned a new caseworker until the adoption is finalized. I hope all goes well.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:58 AM on May. 11, 2009

• If you are interested in adopting the child then you need to let the current case worker know as well as the new caseworker. They normally will try and leave a child where they are as it is least disruptive for the child. If you're not interested let the case worker know so that they can start looking for a new home.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 1:15 PM on May. 11, 2009

• First of all all states are not the same... Check with your codes and laws...

In Utah, they would be looking for a fost/adopt family from the beginning or as soon as they know that the parents will be terminated. Not all states give the child right for stablitiy more power than the parents right to keep the child in the courts and system for years. They only have 1 yr to get their act together... and they can't keep things pending... the child will usually have stability by 24 months in care if under 3...

But as I said before each state has their own rules/laws...

Good Luck and stay in contact with your caseworker...let them know you want to adopt or not... so they can move forward as soon as the child is free...
    RustysMom

Answer by RustysMom at 7:51 PM on May. 11, 2009