12 week ultrsound and a thick neck

I had a transvaginal done at my 12 week appointment. My Dr. told me that my baby had a neck that was on the thick side, but still in the normal range. Apparently a thick neck is a marker for Down's Syndrome. So after telling me this, and not to worry (yeah, like that's going to happen) she said she was going to send me for another ultrasound with a different Dr., for a second opinion.

I haven't gotten the blood test results yet, but apparently the baby has a nasal bone which is a good sign.

Has anyone else had this happen? How did it turn out for you? Did you decide to have an amnio?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:14 AM on May. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Ultrasounds are NOT all that accurate. And, surprisingly, neither are the blood tests. That is the exact reason I only get the 20-week u/s done and never get any optional testing done. (And LOTS of them are optional.)

There have been innumerable times that a doctor has told a mother her child very likely has downs and the baby was born perfectly healthy with absolutely no problems.

We would love our baby regardless, so it's not even an issue for us, but I wouldn't get your panties in a wad over this. :)
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 7:40 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I went through that whole trisomy 21 debacle for nothing and was stressed most of my first pregnancy till the amino came back O.K. This time around I'm not going to worry unless they find maybe 3 or 4 markers for the possibility of it (my blood work came out funny and they found one worrisome thing on the US). Good Luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:40 AM on May. 11, 2009

• Sweetie, don't worry! I forwent the optional testing as every one that I knew and the research that I did showed that the tests are inaccurate and generally cause a mother to worry when there is no need.... I also did not get the testing done because I knew I would love my child no matter what... We are mothers it's what we do! I do agree 100% with Fluud7! I had many ultra sounds with this pregnancy (My daughters father has MANY risks in his family for various things that made it necessary :-( ) I had not known about these risks with my son, did not have the extra ultrasounds and he turned out perfect... so still no worries!!!!! :-D
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 8:01 AM on May. 11, 2009