will my son always be complacent or is it too soon to tell?

my son is 9 and he seems to be ok no matter what. he has friends that are wealthy and they have everything. he tells me about so and so and that they have this or that but never says he wants whatever they have. he just says its sooo cool. he doesn't really ask me for anything and when he does, if i tell him no, i tell him why, or i tell him to earn the money to buy it. he rarely gives me a hard time. don't get me wrong, i love that he is not envious of others but i'm wondering what his motivation will be to be successful when he gets older. i know wanting things is what motivated me to go to school and get a job when i was growing up (my mom/dad couldn't give me much) but i also know that having money isn't everyone's motivation. i would love for him to do what he loves and as long as he lives within his means, it's all good. but what if this is a sign that he'll be cool with living at home till he's 40??!! YIKES!!

nairda

Asked by nairda at 5:55 AM on May. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• Somewhere along the line you have taught him that things and money aren't everything. My kids have friends who get everything; heck, one kid has an iphone! Mine understand why they aren't getting one. They also see that the kids who "have" aren't any happier 95% of the time. They may be a little jealous, but in general they don't complain about not having things either. What motivates them (they are 9 &11) a job well done and praise from their parents and peers.

And if he's living at home at 40, you'll have a house sitter for all the traveling you may want to do them - that's what we say about DS, who is a real homebody.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:21 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I think your looking way outside the box. HES 9 YRS OLD. I could understand if you were worrying about this when hes 13 or 16 but hes a mello kid. Worry about this in years to come. You will drive yourself crazy if you worry about this now. Start teaching yes but worry about this now is crazy in my eyes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:10 AM on May. 11, 2009

• No. He will do what makes him happy. If being a work horse makes him happy he will do it. If not being a work horse makes him happy - he will do that. So don't worry. Enjoy you have a kid that doesn't get frustrated for not having what others have.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on May. 11, 2009