Am I freaking out over nothing?

I have a 5 year old daughter, she is in her last year of Pre School. Sh has went to this school for 3 years. First year she only did 2 days 3 hours, Second year 3 days 3 hours, and this year she does 5 days 31/2 hours. I signed her up early because she is an only child and I thought it would be good for her, to learn to be around other kids. I have been told every year she is where she should be or above as far as learning. Then one of her teachers a few weeks ago comes up to me and said she is worried about her memory. That she can not pick out her letters, and she forgets names. Some letters she said she does not know are in her name, yet she can pick her name out of a list. I got her flash cards and have been trying to study them with her, she is very active. It is starting to worry me. Some people tell me it is just her age not to worry, should I be concerned?

Jillian79501

Asked by Jillian79501 at 6:53 AM on May. 11, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It is normal for them not to "remember" things sometimes expecially if they are tired or just want to be doing other things. Keep working with her and test her at different times throughout the day. goodluck!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:15 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I would keep working with her like you are at home & make it fun. Children learn well with play.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:26 AM on May. 11, 2009

• It can also depend on how she was taught. Was she taught to spell her name or just to recognize her name? HUGE difference. She should be spelling and writing it now, not just picking it out of a list (according to the curriculum at my son's preschool)

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:35 AM on May. 11, 2009

• Oh good grief. It's preschool. She'll just learn all this stuff again in kindergarten anyway, where, if she knows it it will reenforce what she knows, and where she'll probably pick it up if she doesn't already know it.

If she has the problem in a few years, maybe I'd be concerned, but she's still young.

P.S. I'm almost 30 and I can't remember names to save my life - but I did very well in school.
    Anonymous