Do you think my husband is right to take special events away when mad?

Here is the problem- my hubby is a spoiled brat. His Mom babied him cause he is the youngest child- he always got his own way. Noone in his family ever tells him he is wrong-ever. Even when he does something wrong they make a joke about it/ or just listen to him complain. He argues with me about something dumb- like I ask him to turn down the car race cause the baby went to sleep and our bedroom is next to his, so my hubby screams @ me wakes him up anyway and then stomps downstairs. The next day he would not take me out for a promised Mothers Day breakfest- we only go out to eat on special days, not every week- so I was upset and It was my 1st Mothers Day with the baby which makes it worse. Is he wrong to punish me cause he didnot get his own way? He always blasts the tv and gets mad when I ask him to turn it down alittle , so me and the baby can sleep- on going problem) and we have *other tv's he can watch. He refuses

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:38 AM on May. 11, 2009 in Relationships

• You were not wrong at all for asking him to turn the TV down and your DH needs to grow up and act like an adult since he is now a father!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:45 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I'd tell him to grow up or leave. You only need one baby to take care of and his being emotionally abusive to you is not going to help your LO grow up right in the long run.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:46 AM on May. 11, 2009

• Wow, I'm so sorry your first Mother's Day was ruined by his immaturity. You absolutely were not wrong at all to ask him to turn down the TV, but his reaction was totally over the top. You really need to have a real heart to heart and let him know it's time to grow up & stop being the spoiled kid. The baby comes first now! Gosh... I feel so bad that he acted like that on your first Mother's Day & wouldn't take you out!

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 7:58 AM on May. 11, 2009

• He is abusive and totally disrespectful and selfish. I would seriously tell him to shape up or ship out. You do not deserve to be treated like that and he needs to be taken down a notch!!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:10 AM on May. 11, 2009

• Why does he feel the need to treat you like a child? Taking away your Mother's Day event is stupid and parochial, for lack of a better word. He needs to grow up.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 8:52 AM on May. 11, 2009

• Why on earth did you choose to marry a spoiled brat? I would bet it was because you loved him. Did you think that your magical powers would transform him into a selfless, adoring husband? That is not how it works, as you are now learning. I'll tell you exactly how I would have handled this situation. I would have left the bedroom and gone somewhere where it was quieter, so I could have gotten some rest. I would have made sure the baby's door was closed(Noise doesn't bother babies nearly as much as most people think, especially if they have been used to it from birth). When I learned he didn't plan on taking me out to breakfast as planned, I would have gotten myself and the baby dressed, and we would have gone without dear hubby, even if it meant going through a drive-through and eating in the car. You have to take charge of your own life and not allow yourself to be a "victim." I think you both acted immaturely.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:57 AM on May. 11, 2009

• Didn't you know he was a spoiled brat when you got with him? Did you think marrying him would change him? You should have gotten the remote and turned down the tv yourself and saved the argument.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 8:58 AM on May. 11, 2009

• Chrissy said it. Grab the remote & turn down the TV yourself, do don't even have to ask. He must be VERY stupid if he cant aggree to turn down the TV in order not to wake the sleeping baby. And, next time he DOES wake the baby, grab the baby & give it to him. Tell him you worked hard to put him to bed, and if he is going to not care & wake him up & HE can do the hard work of getting him back to sleep. This will teach him how much it sucks when someone is rude enough to wake your sleeping baby. That is serious lack of respect, i would beat his ass.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:12 AM on May. 11, 2009

• wow, he's got a control issue huh? His behavior might be ok if he were your dad and you were a bad girl and needed to have priveliges taken away but he's not. He's a grown man dealing with his wife's appropriate request. I'd have gone out to eat without him and not allowed him to ruin my special day.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:36 AM on May. 11, 2009

• He sounds very spoiled indeed, and selfish. He is being immature by throwing a fit like that. It may be hard to rationalize with someone like him but just try. Let him know the baby needs sleep and that's not going to change. And make it known he ruined your first mother's day and if he continues to ruin other things for you then he can have his peace and quiet when you leave him. I know easier said then done, but after 12 years of my relationship I've learned you have to compromise. He needs to rise every day asking what can I do to make her day better as you do too. (Dr. Phil says this and I believe it) and if he's not willing to show you his love and concern, then stop wasting your precious time on him. Life is too short and the memory you'll have of what he did is going to hurt but it doesn't have to continue.
    MAMAMISTY33

Answer by MAMAMISTY33 at 9:49 AM on May. 11, 2009