My husband wants to watch tv when we are on vacation.

I am dreading going on vacation cause my husband fights with the kids @ the hotel about what to watch on tv. I tell everyone we are on vacation it is not about tv. So he tapes his shows so he can watch them when he gets home. He still wants to watch them if we get back to the hotel early-even tho they r being taped. The kids bring video games and books, and when it is time to go out they dont give me a problem. My hubby picks fights, so he can stay in the hotel and watch his shows. He says Im mad at you -go out with the kids yourself. I told him he needs to spend time with the kids on Vac. doing things together as a family- he says quit trying to control me. You cant make me go out. Why does he even come with us if he just wants to sit in the room and nap and watch tv, he could do that @ home? He goes out when its time to eat dinner tho.- no problem. The kids have given up on asking him to do things with them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:51 AM on May. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• you can call the hotel before you go and ask them to remove the television from the room. No television in the room or choosing cabins without them while on vacation. if you plan the vacations you can plan it un-plugged. Bringing books and board games for the entire family to play. Talk to him calmly. Or if he is unreasonable - write it. Tell him you are concerned that he doesn't have a real relationship with you as a husband or with his children as their father. Truthfully, I would tell my husband if I didn't have a partner who took time to nurture my relationship with him and my children - I am not going to stay married to him. I deserve to have a relationship with a man not a television schedule. At home I would go on strike. I would wash clothes for me and the kids, I would cook more me and the kids and no sex for the husband. No respect no benefits of having a partner. What I need is a partner in every way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I'm sorry and don't really have a solution for you. Only thing I can think of is planning an activity in the evening that you will go to dinner from (no going back to the hotel). That way maybe he will be willing to do one thing a day with you and the kids.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:57 AM on May. 11, 2009

• Well, obviously your problems are deeper than just your husband wanting to watch TV while on vacation. I would seek counseling if you can't resolve your issues together.

As far as men and TV go....watching TV IS a vacation to many men! They seem to understand the word "vacation" better than we do, I think! Vacations are supposed to be about rest and relaxation, but in our culture, we make them about running around and touring everything in sight!

While I agree that your husband should spend more time with you and your family, you also need to respect his wishes to just sit sometimes. Try working out a compromise.

You two have very different ideas of a vacation that should be discussed before you leave.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 9:03 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I guess I see it different. If we were able to take a vacation, I would expect my husband to not want to do much of anything. He works hard all week long, every week. He deserves some down time. I can only speak for our family, but even vacations (taken elsewhere) are stressful with our little ones.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on May. 11, 2009