Parental Controls

Hello to everyone out there in internet world!! I am needing just a little help from anyone. My children like going on youtube to watch funny cartoon songs. But I think I may have caught my 9 year old son peeking at something else, he denies it of course. He says he was typing in for a certain song and it came up with something COMPLETELY different. I was just wondering if their is something I can download without possible viruses that I can block certain websites from my kids. ANY help would be awesome.

trobnolte

Asked by trobnolte at 7:56 AM on May. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• There are a bazillion different pieces of software you can install that will set up parental controls for you, but it depends on how strict you want to be and what type of information it is to which you want to limit access.

Remember that if you put these into place, you also limit access to sites that have health information. A vagina's a vagina's a vagina to a piece of software. It doesn't care if your daughter's looking for information on menstrual cramps or your son's getting frisky.

That being said.

Start by looking at home websites and reviews for Cyber Patrol, Safe Eyes and Net Nanny to see if their various features and requirements suit your needs. They all get excellent ratings from parents.

Also, talk to them and make sure they know what's bad and good on the Internet and WHY. All of the articles I've read start with explain the what and why to your kids and make sure they can come to you first. :)
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 12:03 PM on May. 11, 2009

• There are lots of programs available for blocking objectionable material. We don't have one other than our internet settings, but I'm sure someone will have some specific names of programs for you.

The bottom line, IMO, is that your children should probably still be monitored on the internet at that age. At the very least, it is ESSENTIAL that any and all computers be in a central location that can be seen at all times.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 8:59 AM on May. 11, 2009

• my computer has administration controls on it...it gives you the opportunity to have 2 accounts on it. if yours has this check it out...make one account for your kids an you can block what you dont want your kids to see or go on.
    jesslyne

Answer by jesslyne at 12:13 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Kids should not be using the internet without supervision.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:41 PM on May. 11, 2009

• OK. Thank you to all who replied. I understand the internet world, and how it affects kids. BUT! My kids are old enough to work the computer, and they do know what to, and not to do. But all I was asking was for a little help on the controls, not being told that my kids NEED to be supervised. But thanks anyway.
    trobnolte

Answer by trobnolte at 7:55 PM on May. 11, 2009