Green stuff in eyes?

My 9 month old keeps having green snot like stuff in her eyes the past 2 days. Do you know what this could possibly be?

ABPeterson

Asked by ABPeterson at 8:35 AM on May. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Most likely a clogged duct... but if this is new for her I would have the doctor check it out just incase
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:39 AM on May. 11, 2009

• My son had that right after he was born... It was a clogged duct... S/he may be developing allergies... Just take a warm washcloth and wip from the inside of the eye to the out... You can also take warm tea bags and rest them on the eyes to help open them up... (the ducts that is) If her/his eyes gets really bad, to the point they cant open with in 30min of cleaning call the doc to be sure its not an infection.... GOOD LUCK!!!
    ashley_hatty

Answer by ashley_hatty at 8:42 AM on May. 11, 2009

• My oldest son had this too. It was a clogged tear duct. They showed me at the pediatricians' how to massage his tear ducts to try and open them up, and he outgrew it by the time he was a year old. His started when he was less than 2 months old though.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:43 AM on May. 11, 2009

• It would bea clogged duct, or it could be pink eye
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on May. 11, 2009

• Try squirting some breast milk into her eyes. It doesn't hurt them, but it will clear up an infection if there's one present.
    JCPenny

Answer by JCPenny at 10:08 AM on May. 11, 2009

• My newborn (13 days old) has the green eye goo in her right eye. The Doc said it's a clogged duct because she was c section baby the mucus didn't get squeezed out like it does with vag birth. The doc also said warm washcloth and not to worry unless the white of her eye becomes red and irritated. I did use a little breast milk when her eye needed cleaned out at the Dr. appt ( the office had no water that day due to repairs in the water line) and it cleaned it without any further irritation.
    Strother09

Answer by Strother09 at 10:27 AM on May. 11, 2009

• my daughter had it at 7mos her eye was gooped shut it was so gross. For her it was pink eye/sinus infection. Dr said the sinus infection made its way out her tear ducts and getting the mucus in the eye caused pink eye! id call the dr
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 10:28 AM on May. 11, 2009

• It is probably a clogged duct and there is no reason to go to the doctor. Just put some breastmilk in the eye and wipe it out with a warm wash cloth. If the eye looks pink or the bottm eyelid when you pull it out looks pinker then the other side then maybe pink eye. My son had this when he was an infant several times and I just would put the warm washcloth on every hour or so even if there wasn't any goop (or more if needed) to help it clear.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:48 AM on May. 11, 2009

• My son, Marco 3.5mos, has the same thing. We took him in to the dr three weeks ago and he gave him drops thinking it was pink eye, the next day he sounded a little congested so the DR prescribed the pink stuff. when that was gone his eye was better for 3 days and then started getting red/ watery with a green mucous again, so we took him back and got more drops and a higher dosage of pink stuff, he's almost done with the meds, but the mucous isn't all gone yet. i would take your baby in right away, because what ever my baby has doesn't want to go away, and maybe if you get it soon enough you wont have the same problem.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 11:36 AM on May. 11, 2009

• sounds like a sinus infection call the doctor dont let it go for to long
    jesslyne

Answer by jesslyne at 11:49 AM on May. 11, 2009