I recently rent a pump from the hospital for a month which cost $60. Because my baby is preemie and he spent 12 days in NICU, once he's home he doesn't want to suck on my nipple. What should i do? should i rent the pump for another 2 months or should i buy one ?

ryann09

Asked by ryann09 at 9:02 AM on May. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You could buy one for what your renting it for and have it so if he never breast feeds. Its harder for premies to go from bottle to breast as they are developmental behind until they catch up on their own. So unless you want to continue to pump and try to breast feed then I would buy one just in case the baby never latches on. Keep trying, did you go to nurse at all during the day?
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:06 AM on May. 11, 2009

• buy one please. With renting one I mean you are paying anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on May. 11, 2009

• Rent one from WIC or heath department, it might even be free. Find a good LC to help you transition him to nursing, you may need to use a feeding system. Your health insurance may also cover the cost of renting or buying.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 9:26 AM on May. 11, 2009

• Buy one, there are alot of nice ones for around 100 bucks and why pay the hospital for something you give back. have you asked for help from a lactation consultant about him latching to you? I had the same issue,baby in the nicu,a nd they wanted $75 to rent the breast pump...no ty I can buy one for cheaper and it all worked fine.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 9:37 AM on May. 11, 2009

• First let me say please don't give up on breastfeeding. My oldest was a premie. It took him a few days to get used to my nipple. But once he did he didn't want the bottle anymore. Buy the pump. It always comes in handy. I used to pump milk and donate it.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 9:50 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I say continue renting! The pumps I found I like are close to $500 to buy, I plan on renting the same model for around $45/month.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 10:11 AM on May. 11, 2009

• Go to see a lactation consultant now. This non-latching issue can be fixed & you can ditch that pump all together. Breastfeeding exclusively through pumping is going to hinder your supply & you're setting yourself up for way too much work. There is plenty of support for breastfeeding, you just have to go get it.

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 10:19 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I would say buy one. There are used ones you can find for a good price and just buy new shields. You can't get as much milk expressed as the baby can so maybe you should try to get in touch with a lactation consultation. It could be possible that with some help your little one can get the hang of latching on on instead of working extra hard to pump all the time.

Good luck!
    beautifulinlove

Answer by beautifulinlove at 10:46 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I had the exact same issue, I bought one, a medela pump in style, which is great. I bought it because I wasn't sure how long I would breastfeed, and my OB had them at his office for 200 rather than the 279 retail.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 11:31 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I'd recommend finding your local LLL and having them work on latch with you. Rentals are much stronger, better pumps then ones that you purchase in the store, so I'd rent, at least for another few weeks, while working on latch.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:44 PM on May. 11, 2009