to potty-train or not potty-train?

My DD who just turned 4 still wears diapers at night. I really don't want to take it off, but my M-in-law says we should. She sleeps solid 12 hours, and takes about an hour to fall asleep. It's 13 hours total, and even as a grown-up, I can't hold that long! I guess I could wake her up before we go to bed to use bathroom, but I'm afraid it will disturb her sleeping. You know, I feel less rested when I have to wake up in the middle of the night. She hasn't woken up with a dry diaper, but she goes to bathroom first thing in the morning. Should I force her to get night-time potty trained? I really don't want to just because all the kids at her age are trained. She has been day-time potty trained for 2 years.

Meachan

Asked by Meachan at 9:02 AM on May. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Whoa! These answers are all not true. How exactly do you force a child to be potty trained at night?? They are asleep. Its completely unconscious. Its not uncommon for a child to wet the bed at night until about 5. After 5, if they are still wetting, then they can be classified as a bedwetter. You can take the pull ups off if you want, but thats not going to keep her from wetting the bed. Do all the appropriate things such as cutting of the liquids about 2 hrs before bed, make her go before bed, ect. Bedwetting is not something she has any control over and if shes sleeping through it now, then how is taking the pull up off going to help? I don't mean to get defensive, but I am passionate about defending bedwetting children. A lot of kids are punished, berated, mocked, and scolded over something they can't control. I am a mother of 4. My oldest wet until she was 11. She had no control. She slept solid. I know have a 7 1/2..cont
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:17 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Well it time for her to get out of diapers at night, so she can get use to getting up in the middle of the night and go alone. To be honest this is something you have to decide. my opinion is get her out of diapers. You don't want her like eight or nine and still wearing them. I have known mothers that have done that. Good luck with what you decide.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on May. 11, 2009

• My DS will be 4 this summer, and I have him wearing a pull up at night. My advice is to tell your MIL thanks for the advice, then follow your own instinct. It is hard to have to get them up in the middle of the night to go. If you try to go without, you will probably be changing the bed a couple of times a night, so make sure YOU think she is ready for it. Good luck!!
    grahamom

Answer by grahamom at 10:00 AM on May. 11, 2009

• you need to get her out of the diaper.she will wake herself up at night and start going.when i trained my little boy i just put underwear on him it didn't take but about a week and he would get up and go or hold it through the night.you may have to get some pads to put under her sheet to keep from messing up the matress but that worked for me. good luck.
    kb24

Answer by kb24 at 10:03 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I used pull up on my dd at night. They aren't absorbant like diapers and she eventually got it, about waking up dry or waling up to pee. Your dd will get it. My friend's daughter was 4 when she finally got potty trained at night.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 11:20 AM on May. 11, 2009

• yr old son who still wets. I mean, he soaks a pull up every night and never wakes up. Its partially genetic and partially about his immature bladder. It can't hold it that long and probably because she sleeps so hard and so soundly, the bladder isnt strong enough to keep it in. If you want to try and see if its the pull ups holding her back, then make her wear undies at night, but be prepared for a wet bed. Bedwetting is something that they just stop doing. The bladder eventually gets the signals from the brain to hold the pee. THen if the bladder fills up, it wakes you up. These are signals shes not getting yet. Four is quite young. Just experiement with it, but please don't scold her for wetting and you might find that if she wakes up with wet sheets a few nights, then she will not like it and want the pull ups back. Also you can try getting her up every 3 hours. Thats a pain though and it keeps you from sleeping. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:21 PM on May. 11, 2009