How Does Cash Assistance Work?

Both my husband and I are unemployed and have no money coming in. We can't find jobs and we're running out of money!! We already receive Food Stamps and WIC. I just found out about Cash Assistance and will be going to fill out an application tomorrow morning.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on May. 11, 2009 in Money & Work

• They will only pay for the things you need like a home. They will look at your home bills and your rent and give you so much towards it. They will not pay for cars, cell phones, home phones, cable or internet. I had a friend on it and she paid 40 a month for her rent out of 500.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:02 AM on May. 11, 2009

• Depends on where you live. Here in Florida you cant have any cash income at all such as unemployment, child support anything. You have to have had no income for 30 straight days. Then if all gets oked you'll get a little bit. In I applied when I had my 3 child because I just had my baby and my so was only getting 10 hrs a week If I would have been approved for a family of 5 we would have gotten 317 per month.

lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 10:22 AM on May. 11, 2009

• It's completely different from state to state. In California, the base it off your income and adults have a 60 month time limit (you can only get it for 60 months total in your lifetime). When I got my pink slip at work (I work at a public school and there have been TONS of layoffs) I applied while I was still working. I got $500 a month in cash and $500 in food stamps for a family of 5, and once the school year is over I'm required to apply for unemployment. I also have to take part in several job placement programs and look for a new job on my own time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I do job and career coaching in Chicago and I am always happy to help CafeMoms (and dads) with resumes, cover letters and job search strategy. Feel free to contact me directly.
    -Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 6:17 PM on May. 11, 2009