Has the gay community taken things too far?

I don't watch those beauty contests, but the whole miss California mess has been all over the news. Miss California simply voiced her opinion on gay marriage and what she views marriage based on the bible. Since when have we gotten to the point that we can't disagree on gay marriage and be blasted for our beliefs?I've always been prochoice on everything. It just seems like the gay community is oversensitive.What do you think about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on May. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Well if you were not allowed to marry your SO and majority of the country shunned you for your sexual preference, I think youd be pretty sensitive too.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 10:13 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I am not gay, so I couldn't speak for the gay community. I am sure there are some that are more adamant about their lifestyle being accepted by others. I don't think they are thinking it through though. The more of an issue they make Ms. California's opinion, the more press coverage she gets. Even if she leaves the pageant business now, she will be more successful because of the sh*tfit they are throwing. This type of controversy tends to bring out supporters on both sides, and there is always someone looking to capitalize off of the fame of another. This practice knows NO PARTY in particular, they are all guilty of it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I think everyone should have the right to believe what they want to believe without being harassed for it. I believe in traditional marriage. I don't believe I should be bashed for this, nor do I think gays or people who vote for gay rights should be bashed for it. While I am voting how I believe because I have morals for my life and my family- I will not bash another for who they believe.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:15 AM on May. 11, 2009

• No, she went on a bunch of conservative talk shows as well and is now the spokesperson for some group opposing gay marriage. When asked about gay adoption and other topocs she couldn't answer....She said , "I don't know anything about that, I'm just opposed to the marriage part".....

She is not the brightest bulb in the bunch and SHE is seeking out this attention
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:16 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I don't think it's just the gay community that is taking issue with what she said, though. Personally, I thought this country was founded on ideals that let us voice our personal opinions. I am for gay marriage, but I don't hold anything against her for not being for it. She didn't even bash LGBT people, she simply said she didn't believe in gay marriage. I feel bad for her.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:18 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I am not gay, so I think it would be hard for me to say what lies in their heart. It's obvious that they feel so strongly about this, so I suppose it would depend on who you ask. I agree with anon though, the fact that they are keeping Ms. California in the spotlight, this will likely help her with the amount of exposure she is getting. IDK, maybe they are trying to make an example out of her. That said, I don't really think she said anything wrong. If she feels that way, then she feels that way. Done deal. What's to debate? Her single opinion isn't relevant to the policies set by their state.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:20 AM on May. 11, 2009

• No they/we are not taking this too far. She is the one trying to become the poster child for traditional marriage instead of doing her job. Also the fact that she has now been caught in multiple lies and contract fraud doesn't look too good for her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on May. 11, 2009

• Gay marriage in California is about forcing a very liberal doctrine in schools. Many gay activists I know want chruches forced to accept the gay lifestyle and actually have scriptures about gay marriage striken from the Bible. They want churches to have to marry them and force all to say they are not sinning.

I actually had no problem with gay marriage. I don't agree with people being gay since it is a sin but many people who sin are married. I did take issue with the fact my church who supported same sex marriage was vandalized by gay activists. Those same gay activists put fliers of gay people naked in various sex acts on our cars. They laughed when we had to scramble to get them so our very small children did not see them. They made out in our church parking lot and groped each other. It was disgusting.

Our pastor pulled all of our support to groups fighting Prop 8.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I think she is entitled to her opinion but, when you are in the public eye, as she is, you have to realize that stating your opinion on a controversial topic may cause you to loose supporters. This goes for everyone in the public eye. As a BiSexual woman, I have the right to not support her & express, publically & vocally if I choose, my displeasure with the fact that she is using her own personal morality as an excuse for limiting the rights of others.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on May. 11, 2009

• Gay marriage in California is about forcing a very liberal doctrine in schools

Are you freakin serious? You actually believe this? Gay marriage in California as in all states, is about love. It was just as disgusting when your friends stood outside my mothers wedding with your picket signs, ruining the wedding of a loving couple that have been together for 26 years. Oh but I'm sure it was so much more tramatizing for you to have to crumple up a piece of paper then to have your wedding day ruined.
    Anonymous