What age did you move your child into a toddler or "big kid" bed?

Whether it's a crib with no sides, convert crib with side rail, twin bed I just want to know what age and your experience with it.
Whats it hard?

meghancooper

Asked by meghancooper at 10:16 AM on May. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When the child is capable of staying in the bed at night. I would say 18 months to 2 years. Any sooner and the child might get up and roam around at night.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:23 AM on May. 11, 2009

• Our daughter will be in a toddler bed when she turns 1. Most people do it once the child is getting out of the crib or they are jumping and shaking the crib to the point they are doing damage. Its going to be hard but the sooner the better.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:18 AM on May. 11, 2009

• we moved my ds at 20 months.. i wanted to move him sooner but SO didnt feel he was ready...

we went to a toddler bed becasue we got one for free... it only took about 3 nights until he was sleeping in it with no problems.. but we let him cry it out.. so if your not up for that it may be harder.... if you need any mroe help nad dont mind CIO you can pm me

2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 10:21 AM on May. 11, 2009

• We went to a regular bed at 15 months.

The first two went into the new bed and went to sleep.

The last one...it was two weeks of put him back, put him back, put him back, put him back, etc. LOL

I would suggest if you get a different bed, to remove the crib from sight. If he thinks he has a choice, it's more liable to be difficult. We tried converting the crib, but as soon as the rail was missing from their crib, all my boys did was SCREAM and SCREAM and SCREAM!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:23 AM on May. 11, 2009

• Keep your baby in the crib for as long as possible, for safety. When he/she starts climbing out or becomes too large for the crib, that's when it's time to get a "big kid" bed. For my children, it was when they were around 25 months old, and it was just due to them becoming too long for their cribs. I wouldn't do it til I had to, because then you have to start dealing with the possibility of little nighttime wanderers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on May. 11, 2009

• 17 months, and he took my blankie with him. =( He always comes into our bed for a morning nursing session though.

MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 10:48 AM on May. 11, 2009

• We skipped the toddler bed. Our crib didn't convert and I couldn't see wasting money on a toddler bed, only to have to transition him again later on. He went into a twin bed with safety rails around 22 months (he never tried to get out of the crib, but we just felt like he was old enough for a bed) and he has never had a problem. It's basically the only thing he remembers. We're lucky, I guess. We never co-slept and he's been sleeping in his room since the day he came home from the hospital.
    jg052502

Answer by jg052502 at 11:29 AM on May. 11, 2009

• We moved our son when he was 19 months to a twin bed...and surprisingly it went very well!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 11:31 AM on May. 11, 2009

• They don't wander in the night if you make them stay put. Baby gate, shut the door, shut the door and put a cover on the door knob, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on May. 11, 2009

• We moved Chloe at 17 months into her day bed. When we put her in it we gave her the same blanket from her crib and her same stuffed animals for familiarity. Oh, she also had her pacifier. As soon as I laid her down she started crying, but I held her there and told her that it was going to be OK and showed her that she still had all of her things. Then I kissed her and shut the door. She cried and got out of the bed and went to her door and cried. So I went back in there picked her up showed her the bed and told her that it's her new big girl bed and blah blah and laid her down again. She cried at her door again and I put her back again. After the about 30-40 minutes went by and putting her back in her bed for the 5th time she didn't cry, she just went to sleep. She has been fine since then :) CONSISTENCY! Good luck!
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 11:38 AM on May. 11, 2009