Life books?

What do you all think of making life books for kids that were adopted? I have one child who came home from the hospital with us after birth, and one who came to us at 4 weeks. Neither has had a lot of transitions. I have baby books that include pictures of their birthmothers, and I plan to include family trees for birthfamilies. I'm not sure I really need to do a life book, too. What do you all think? Has anyone made one, or for adoptees, do you have one?

Iamgr8teful

Asked by Iamgr8teful at 10:40 AM on May. 11, 2009 in Adoption

• If the children are already adopted, then the baby books are the Life Books. Mainly Life Books are used for children in foster care, as they move back and forth thru different homes, or home and back into care, etc. This is a History book for the child since no one person in their past will have ALL of their info. It's good for new foster parents to see the child's past, and the child to remember the people that have travelled into and out of their lives. It gives a sense of identity and belonging to the child, and can be used as a bonding attachment tool for adoptive parents. But if yours are lucky enough to be with you from the start, the baby books should be fine. If they aren't adopted yet, they should have a life book. Have a great day!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:55 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I agree with doodlebopfan,

If you have the continuity of the adoptees story and include what you know of their birth family / beginnings, then a life book + your baby book could be setting yourself up for double duty :)

My adoptive mom found a first year book that was specialized for adoptees (even way back in 1969)! It was nice because along with providing a place to reference my birth family it included things like, "the first time we ever saw you" instead of a hospital birth picture because the didn't have that. Nobody likes a blank page in their baby book!
    PortAngeles1969

Answer by PortAngeles1969 at 11:16 AM on May. 11, 2009

• i dont know what a life book is
    kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 2:31 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Burlington coat factory carries a line of baby books that is like a binder and they have specialty themes including one set for adoption. I didn't buy them because I needed two and they were kind of expensive, so I just made my own based on them.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 4:29 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I have both for my boys. Their baby books will always be out for them, their life books, those are up to them to read and share as they desire. My oldest came to me as an infant, my youngest, not quite one yr old. I subscribe to a website that helps you develop them. I also bought a workbook that has suggestions on how to build a life book.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 AM on May. 12, 2009

• We do a baby book, and then I made them each a little "Story of me" story book that they could carry around as toddlers and we have read to them all along.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Anon: can you post that website that lets you develop them. I would be interested
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I did a life book for my daughter when we were her foster parents. I am glad I did, because I do not have a baby book for her (she was adopted at 4.)
    home-sweet-home

Answer by home-sweet-home at 3:04 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Thank you all for your input. I think it's probably not necessary for me to make life books, since my kids haven't experienced all the transitions. I was able to make a regular baby book work for my daughter since I have a pic of her bmom pregnant with her and a sonogram pic. I also have some stories about the pregnancy to put in there, and I was at a couple of the prenatal visits so I can write about how she dodged the scanner thing. I had to order a special baby book for adoption for our son, since I don't have any of that and too many pages would have been left blank.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:12 AM on May. 14, 2009

• There is an online course on Life Books that's available for free until June 1 at:
    http://www.adoptionlearningpartners.org/lifebooks.cfm

Take a look. It will explain all about Life Books.
    nobcitymom

Answer by nobcitymom at 2:10 PM on May. 18, 2009