Would you get rid of your dog over this?

We adopted my dog from the humane society five years ago. She's a great dog and I love, but I am getting tired of her crapping every where. It used to be just when we left the house without her, she'd poop and pee all over the place.

We took her to the vet to see if there an underlining problem, nothing she's healthy.

I got her a gate in the kitchen like our vet suggested and at night and when we're not home, I keep her in there. We still come home to poop and pee all over the floor, but at least I can mop and disinfect easily.

Well, I swore that I had fixed this problem. I get my kids ready, we go on a nice, leisurely walk.

We come home, I make them breakfast and no sooner than that, I go into their bedroom only to step in a steaming pile of shit. I'm ready to tell my husband to take her to the humane society.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on May. 11, 2009 in Pets

• Maybe you should get her used to being outdoors when you're not home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on May. 11, 2009

• Have you tried crate training? That might help, at least when you are gone (and at night). Most dogs will not poop or pee in their own beds & even if she did, at least it would be in the crate. Start her in the crate for a few minutes at a time, gradually building up to several hours or overnight. My other suggestion would be to spend some intensive time re-potty training her. Decide which signal you want her to give when she wants out (bark or stand by the door or hang a small bell on the doorknob that she can ring by brushing it with her nose) & work with her just as if she were a puppy. Praise her when she gives the signal & even more when she goes. You also might want to see if there is an animal trainer in your area who will come to your home. There is most likely a reason why she is doing this--stress or jealousy or whatever & a good trainer can help you with that. Good luck!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 10:50 AM on May. 11, 2009

• We don't have a yard. We live in a decent size apartment, but no yard for her to stay outside in. She gets about 6 walks a day. Some quick, others long. I'm finding myself lying to my husband when the dog has an accident and trying to clean it up as soon as possible.

He gets so pissed off and says we live in a barn, and I can understand why he's upset. I just don't know what to do. It's disgusting. We are constantly paying 150 dollars to have the carpets professionally steam cleaned every few months because of this.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I can understand it if she hadn't had a walk in a few hours, but seriously...why 10 minutes after I gave her a walk.

I don't have the money for a trainer, My DH just got laid off.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on May. 11, 2009

• Dog Whisperer - he might have tips on his site that could be helpful.

http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on May. 11, 2009

• Try putting down a few "puppy pads". They look like a giant disposable diaper laid flat, and they're scented with something (a hormone maybe?) that attracts dogs to them. Even if she is just going potty in the house to get attention, (which is really hard to break them of) this makes it a lot easier to clean up. The pads are backed with plastic, so you just pick them up, bag them, and toss them in the garbage.
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 11:09 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I would try crate training before you get rid of her.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:40 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I wouldn't get rid of my dog for that. I would have properly house broken her to begin with. You need to start over from square one on house breaking. Treat her as a puppy and read up on housebreaking techniques.

Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:18 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Definitely wouldn't give up a dog over house training issues. Crate train your dog. Problem solved.
    MrsGurt

Answer by MrsGurt at 5:45 PM on May. 11, 2009

• This may sound hard,
    but if you can no longer handle the problem...and can't seem to get a fix...

letting her go back with knowledge that she has this problem...Might be a plus for all...esp if you find yourself yelling and screaming about it...

Do not lie about it... do not play the dog against the family... this will only make matters worse.

The dog whisperer is wonderful, he may have great words of wisdom, but the big thing will be for you to work the plan... and if that is a problem... then change the plan...
    RustysMom

Answer by RustysMom at 8:01 PM on May. 11, 2009