I'm trying to break the habit of rocking my 8 1/2 months soon to bed at night and at nap time. Any suggestions?

He goes down at 6 pm and no matter what time I do put him down he wakes up an hour later .i have to go in there and either rub his tummy or pick him up and rock him again. And lately he has been getting up twice after that around 10 pm to eat again and 2am. I have to rock him in the middle of the night for him to go back to sleep.For the most part I have to rock him to take a nap or feed him in his crib for me to get him to take a nap. He'll only nap 40 minutes at time and i'm lucky to get him to take to naps a day. i want to break him of this before he it get worse. I have been putting him in his crib and letting him cry for a couple minutes but it only worked 2 times that he actually went to slept by himself.

Steph902

Asked by Steph902 at 11:15 AM on May. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can try the cry it out method.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on May. 11, 2009

• i wouldnt quit rocking him because he will out grow it and rocking him is a great way to bond and you will miss it when hes older and doesnt want you to rock him.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I disagree with the above poster. I rocked my daughter to sleep everyday until she was over 3 years old. When I decided enough was enough you would think the world has ended. Stop it now, the older he gets the harder it is to get away from it.

I started by laying her in her bed and reading her a book. Then I would lay down for 10 min. Each day I would stay for less time. With in a week and half she was asleep within the 10 mins.
    Katie911

Answer by Katie911 at 11:46 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I let them cry it out. Its hard, but hard work will pay off. My youngest cried for an hour the 1st night, 20 minutes the 2nd night and went straight to sleep when we put him in his bed and shut the door on the 3rd night.

My SIL wishes she would have never rocked her child past 8 months old. At 3 1/2, her daughter HAS to be rocked to sleep before she can take a nap or go to bed for the night.

Mine would always wake up the second I stopped rocking. I stopped rocking at 3 1/2-4 months
    Anonymous

• Yeah, you need to stop it now. They will throw tantrums later on if you do not rock them and it's super tiring because at that age it will take longer to rock them because they start focusing on your eyes, lips, anything that will keep them from going to sleep. My suggestion is now that he is getting older he might just be restless. Try keeping him awake for longer times to get him tired and maybe his nap times might be longer. My DD at that age began to take 1 morning and 1 afternoon nap. Each lasted about 1.5-2 hours. I kept her awake until 8pm-9pm and then lied her down and slept until 7am-8am. You might really try considering this because it sounds like he is restless.
    Anonymous