Anyone have any ideas how to teach a 4 year old how to recognize letters and numbers?

twinsnseptember

Asked by twinsnseptember at 11:26 AM on May. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• flashcards and make copies of books with handwriting at Beckers and buy the chunky pencils
    also get yourself a chalkboard to show her/him!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 11:30 AM on May. 11, 2009

• A little more information please! Have you been reading to him/her? Having her/him write the letters and numbers? Spell their name? Flash cards?
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 11:31 AM on May. 11, 2009

• flashcards..pointing them out in everyday life...reading and pointing them out. Putting name tags on everthing in your house for a while helps too.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:31 AM on May. 11, 2009

• i read to him. not everyday but a lot. i have made him dot to dot letters to write his name and he does that. he can spell his name but only the letters in is name. and he cant tell the diffrence between letters and numbers. i have tryed flashcards and he just doesnt seem to want to do it. he wants to be able to be more hands on. i dont want to force him i want him to be interseted like he was with writeing his name.
    twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 11:40 AM on May. 11, 2009

• Try computer games. You can buy preschool software at lots of places (like Target) or you can try websites like www.StarFall.com or www.PBSKids.org.

Also make up silly games:
    Use painters tape to put letters on the floor and have races to see who can get to the letter you call out first (even if it's just you and him!) You can do the same thing with numbers.
    Hopscotch with letters or numbers.
    Get bathtub letters (foam shapes that stick to the tub), give him 6 or so at a time and challenge him to find the letter you call out before a timer rings.
    Get the DVD "The Letter Factory" by Leap Frog. Watch this and/or WordWorld and Super WHY. Dump any junk TV from his day - no SpongeBob for example.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:01 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I think my son did learn his letters and sounds from the Leap Frog "Letter Factory" video. I don't usually advise watching TV, but I do think this worked.

But mostly, I don't think he needs to know for another year. I wouldn't push it. Writing his name is enough for now. Really not a big deal. Wait until kindergarten to worry about it. All kids develop differently. I'm sure he's ahead in other areas.

Good Luck!
    Anonymous

• You might also try sand or sandpaper letters/numbers (you can look into Montessori supplies for these) - they offer a very tactile way of learning letters/numbers by tracing your finger on sandpaper or in sand to create the letters/number. Remember also that the more senses one uses to learn something, the better the information will be captured - that's why sensory learning like that works better for some kids - it's sight, sound AND touch. Also, songs help children learn, so singing songs while looking at the letters/numbers can help. You might also try hopscotch (jumping on the squares with the numbers or even adding letters), blocks that have both letters and numbers on them (and a great toy in general to play with for building stuff), or playing games like "twister" where instead of colors, you can use letters and numbers. Keep it fun, whatever you do! Flashcards can be just plain boring.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 3:25 PM on May. 11, 2009

• My son just turned four and reads, writes and signs his entire alphabet. I sell Usborne Books and More and they have lots of great tools. Once I started using them with him he learned within a couple of weeks. The Writing, Reading and Opposites books were a huge help. The alphabet floor puzzle and all of the flash cards were also great! www.ubah.com/u2688 just search numbers or alphabet. I've found the Signing Time and Sign-a-Lot videos ( I buy mine at www.borders.com bc you can use a 30% off coupon code on them) have helped a ton too. My son loves to watch the shows and when I teach him to spell new words I finger spell them and I've noticed if I do he remembers themmuch easier. Very helpful! Anyway thats what I did that worked. Good luck!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 12:56 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Flashcards everyday. First the letters, go over two sets of the alphabet in order. At first you will have to say the letters for him.. Then when you think he knows them, mix them up. I did this and my oldest son who was 2 and a half learned all of his letters in 2 weeks!! Then do the same for numbers, ten at a time.
    Sonata

Answer by Sonata at 1:50 AM on May. 13, 2009