My five year old still wets the bed, is something nourologically wrong? How do I get her to stop?

fawnamom

Asked by fawnamom at 11:04 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have you tried things like not letting her drink anything 2 hours prior to bed? I would say you should talk to her doctor there are some options you may want to think about. I think she is still to young to really worry much about it though I think 7 or 8 is around the age they worry.
    ChaoticCreation

Answer by ChaoticCreation at 11:08 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• have her drink distilled water go to the docs just incase its a medical problem and just have her go to the bathroom more frequent
    Anonymous

• This is common. Think about it, would companies sell Good Nights pull-ups if no one needed to buy them? Of course not.

If she's waking up in the middle of the night, there are two potential problems... her bladder isn't big enough to make it all night or her body doesn't make enough of the chemical that slows down urine production during sleep. Both will get better with time. Until then, you can stop all fluids two hours before bedtime and wake her wake her once during the night to go.

If she doesn't know she's wet until she wakes up, she's sleeping so deeply that her brain isn't responding to the "I've got to go" signal. Waking her at the same time every night to go may help. You can also try a "wee alarm" - a sensor sets off an alarm when she starts to pee. An internet search will find several types.

Whatever the problem, whatever you try, be sure to let her know that she is NOT alone and nothing is wrong with her. The more upset you are,
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:24 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I know this sounds weird, but try taking her to a chiropractor. My chiropractor treats kids for bedwetting with gentle adjustments.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:08 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I HEARD AND TRYED THAT SHE MIGHT BE COLD. AND THEY WILL WET THE BED. IVE HAD THIS DONE. JUST MAKE SURE THAT THEY ARE EXTRA WARM NOT HOT! AND IT MAY HELP AND NOT DRINKING ANYTHING 2 HOURS BEFORE BED.
    dimes

Answer by dimes at 12:48 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Is his bed REALLY soft? When I was about that age, I wouldn't wake up b/c my bed was too soft... my mom put a board under my mattress so it didn't sink in the middle & it helped a lot! Also, obviously you should not let him have something to drink a couple of hours before bedtime.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 2:20 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• my 6 year old is having the same problem and at first we thought it was because of the new baby coming home and he was just doing it for attention but it has continued on for too long; and we had tried everything from stopping all drinks two hours before bed to waking him up several times to go to the bathroom and nothing seemed to work; so we took him to a urologist and they said that his bladder was not matured like it should be(he was a preemie at birth)so they have started him on some meds to see if that helps and we have to go back in a month and see what they say. MAybe you should talk to your doctor about this and see what they suggest they may send you to a specialist. Good luck.
    Autumnlover68

Answer by Autumnlover68 at 2:21 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I had a problem like that when I was about that age. Drove my parents crazy - this is before those Good Nites sleep pants. I just didn't wake up at night, I slept too soundly. I outgrew it though...I would try all the above suggestions but please don't make her feel bad about doing it, she can't really help it and it's embarrassing enough. Good luck to you.
    Anonymous