self soothing

i dont have time to read a whole book on this, is it just letting them cry it out? I was getting frustrated with my 4 mo old, so I set him down in his crib and sat in a chair close by, after 25 mins he still hadnt stopped, he wasnt hungry wet or anything else i could think of, so i dont see just letting him cry it out. Anybody have any experience with this?

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 11:46 AM on May. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if you were still in the room it probally was making him angrier... when ours were 4 months old welet them cry for 5 mins then a 2 min check on them then 7 and 1 min then 10 mins at a time... usually after about 15 mins of that they stopped

if you want more advise on CIO you can pm me
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 11:48 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I think you have to put thought and work into whatever method you choose... I read the baby whisperer and it worked wonders was easy to stick too... you don't have to read the whole book You read the parts that suit your babies personality 4 months is a perfect time to start.
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 12:00 PM on May. 11, 2009

• A full tummy and a dry diaper are not the only things that a baby needs. When you talk about asking a 4 month old to "self sooth", just how are they supposed to do that? Can they get up and move to where they want to go? Can they get another blanket if they are cold? Can they go get a toy that they want? They really can't do anything for themselves, why would we ask them to self sooth? Hold your baby and nurse or rock her to sleep. Check out http://www.hno.harvard.edu/gazette/1998/04.09/ChildrenNeedTou.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:42 PM on May. 11, 2009

• A 4 month old can't self soothe. What's soothing about crying in a crib?
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 1:17 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Try a pacifier it might help. My daughter cries out of nowhere as well, even if she's clean and fed. I just usually try to rock her to get her to take a nap or I bathe her, she really LOVES taking a bath LOL. Sometimes they just want to be held and talked too, if all else fails then try the pacifier usually works for me. Good Luck.

cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 1:43 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I wouldn't let him cry it out... not unless you're at your breaking point and need to walk away for a few minutes. But 25 minutes of crying in his crib? No wonder he did not settle himself down. If I did that with my son, he probably would have worked himself up into hyperleviating cries. If he is particularly fussy, try taking him outside for a change of scenery. Usually that settles my son right down. Go to Walmarts if it's too cold/crummy outside. Walk around. Babies get bored, too. Or if he likes bathes, try a warm bath. Heck, try taking a warm bath with him. Put him in a swing/bouncer and play some music. But I wouldn't let him cry it out. My son is almost 11 months old, and we don't let him cry it out. And he's a great sleeper and a wonderful baby. He was an extremely fussy baby for the first five months, though. Motherhood tests your patience continuously. This is a good practice. :)
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 3:06 PM on May. 11, 2009