Does anyone use cornstarch as a thickener in soups if you do how much?

trying to perfect my lentil soup!

2mothershelpers

Asked by 2mothershelpers at 11:58 AM on May. 11, 2009 in Food & Drink

• sorry- and about 1 tablespoon per cup. It depends on how thick you want it!! You can also simmer it and evaporate some of the liquid to make it thicker. "artificial" thickeners are usually not neccesary in legume soups
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 1:26 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I do sometimes in a pinch... disolve 1 Tbsp cornstarch with a little bit of cold water and stir until smooth, mix in and let it do its thing, depending on how much soup will depend how much cornstarch you need, just make sure you dissolve it first.

I have found, however, that a flour and butter rue makes a bettter, albeit more fattening, thickener for soups and sauces.

gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:01 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Another quickie idea to thicken up soups is instant potato flakes. They dissolve easily, make your soup thicker, and add a slightly richer flavor.
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 12:10 PM on May. 11, 2009

• for lentil soup I would puree some of the lentils to thicken it or use a flour slurry ( Mixed with water) Cornstarch works that way too. fBoth will thicken upon a boil temp. cornstarch is clearer and flour is cloudy. Other starches can be used too. Arrowroot is one that should be used spaingly, iti s very strong.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 12:57 PM on May. 11, 2009