Am I stimulating my child enough?

My son is going on 7 weeks old and whenever he's awake, I try to take advantage of that time by putting him in his bouncer which has a toy bar with lights, music, and toys. We also have a swing and an activity mat. I have books I sometimes read to him with lots of colorful pictures. He still doesnt know how to play with some of he toys we have for him so I figured using one of the 3 would be best until he's older. He can start to focus in on things but he seems to lose interest. Is there anything I could be doing better?? I dont want to waste time, Id like to be productive with him to help him grow. Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

Ness87

Asked by Ness87 at 11:58 AM on May. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 2 (-26 Credits)
  • you should try laying him on the floor on a blanket turn some soft
    music on and lay with him they really like to be around you and just to sit there and you could also read to him i know hes little but its helps his devlopment my son is one and completes full sentences
    morgan453

Answer by morgan453 at 12:06 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Thanks I'll definitely try that :) So I guess he's still a little young to focus on those toys?? Maybe I was expecting too much from him, he is only 6 weeks....any other suggestions are welcome also!
    Ness87

Answer by Ness87 at 12:15 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Most babies show little interest in toys until they are closer to 4-6 months old.
    The best way to promote healthy brain development at this age is through physical contact. Holding or wearing your baby throughout the day provides exactly the stimulation that they need. Many scientists believe that the reason why breastfed babies have a higher IQ than formula fed babies is not because of the milk, but because of the constant skin to skin contact that comes with breastfeeding.

The physical contact with you and the talking to your baby throughout the day is what they really need. Holding him and reading to him, singing to him etc. are just perfect. You don't really need any bright toys or flashing lights to stimulate his brain, just an attentive mommy!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:37 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Do anything to INTERACT with your baby! :) Sing with them, dance with them. Talk to them. walk with them (holding- not in a stroller) and talk to them about the world around them, help your baby touch diffrent things & with caution let them smell diffrent things.. remember your baby is an empty slate- he doesnt understand the physical world much at all. its very interesting to read up on a newborns brain. .
    When you feel safe take a bath with your child (may be a good idea to have dh around to help get in & out) the skin to skin contact is wonderful & the water may feel weightless like the womb.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:59 PM on May. 11, 2009

• It sounds like you are doing a great job stimulating him. I would continue to read books to him, and you could play music as well. My son loves, loves, loves music, and I played music to him all through my pregnancy and while he was small. He started dancing/rocking to the tunes at 6 months old. My son wasn't that interested in toys until about four months old. I mean, he liked to look at them, watch me move them, but he wasn't into playing with them. Make sure you give him lots of tummy time as well. Taking a bath with your baby, like MommaTasha suggested, is also another wonderful idea. It's also soothing for you, as well as the baby and they really do benefit from the skin to skin contact. If the weather is warm, take him outside and expose him to the outdoors and nature. Let him feel the grass tickle his feet. Babies are sponges! They soak up their surrounding whether you know it or not.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 2:59 PM on May. 11, 2009