Is it ok to lose 3 pounds a week? and if so whats the best way?

i been on my diet for a month now and lost 14 ponds but got on th scale today and gained 5 back!!! i'm doing every thing the same should i do more cardio?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Health

• I am a firm believer in exercise exercise exercise! So many women out there only go on diets and restrict the foods they are eating but do nothing to excerise their heart and tone their bodies. It is possible you gained 5 pounds in muscle if you have been excerising a lot. Which there is nothing wrong with that at all! That's good! It just means you turned 5 pounds of fat into muscle. I would step up the excercise. Yes it is going to take awhile to see results but it is so worth it. Also what I like to do is get a Body Fat Percentage. That way even if you are gaining weight, you can have someone check the percentage of body fat you have and that number will continue to fall. That is what is important.
    Anonymous

• Weight watchers recommends you lose 2 pounds per week. More cardio can't hurt, and add in some weight training, and I'd also watch carbs after 4pm. Good luck!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:22 PM on May. 11, 2009

• First of all how fast did you gain this 5 lbs? If it was over a day or 2 it's just water weight. Maybe from Mother's Day meals or something. Drink a lot of water and it will go away. It takes a ton of calories and a lot of inactivity to gain 5 lbs.

It could also be that you've put on muscle as the other poster suggested. But I doubt that much muscle happened over a short amt. of time either. I"m betting on water!

14 lbs over a month is a great loss. If you can keep that up, you'll be great. Even 8-10 lbs a month is a good number. How much are you trying to lose total? What is your weight loss plan right now. Food and exercise wise............. If we know a little more, we can make some better suggestions.

Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 12:50 PM on May. 11, 2009

• When you go on a diet, or use a diet aid, you are just putting yourself on the gain/loss rollercoaster; frustrating for you, and really hard on your body. In order to maintain a healthy weight, you need to have a healthy lifestyle; this has the added bonus of setting a great example for your kids.
    First, drink your water! at least 8 8oz glasses a day. Next, eat your fruits and veggies! 7-8 servings a day, in at least three different colors. Now, eat your whole grains (loaded with fiber, protein, and lots of energy-giving nutrients), 7 servings a day. Cut way back on (or eliminate) meat and dairy. Add beans, lentils, and tofu to your diet. Feel free to ask me any questions. You can also go to your local library and take out any book by Dr. McDougall; there is also a free meal plan with recipes on his website: http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html

Answer by rkoloms at 7:18 AM on May. 12, 2009