Gas pains/tummy aches and doctor frustration

My daughter is almost 15 months old. When she was a baby she was on hypoallergenic formula due to a milk and soy protein allergy. When she turned 1 year, we switched her to whole milk and she seemed to do ok. Didn't seem to make the tummy aches and gas pains that she was getting any worse, that is until one night she just woke up screaming. We decided to switch her over to Rice milk and started supplementing that with Pediasure. This in combination with some Mylacon at night really seemed to help... she wasn't waking up hardly at all at night. Now the last week or so shes been waking up multiple times at night, and once a night she's usually up for 2 or so hours screaming from what is very obviously a tummy ache and gas pains (she will get a ton of gas out in that time)

We've tried talking to her doctor about it, because she has always had an issue with the gas pains, but her doctor just shrugs it off... Any suggestions?

dueinfeb2008

Asked by dueinfeb2008 at 12:02 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Kids' Health

• tell your doctor you want a referral to a gastrointestinal doctor. I had my son go to one because he was always constipated (severely) and always had gas. he put him on miralax and you can ask them if that will help with gas. since my son started taking it 2 years ago he no longer has gas. but i dont know if they will give that to her since she doesn't have a constipation problem.
    how are her bowel movements?
    does she go often, does she have diarrhea or constipated?
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 12:11 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I would simply switch to a dr. who didn't blow me off and helped work with me to find out what the #$@% is wrong with my child.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 12:14 PM on May. 11, 2009

• As far as her bowel movements.. she has only ever went once a day and since getting off the formula it always feels like a rock, its that solid.

And because of the tummy aches I have a hard time getting her to eat, shes lost almost 2 pounds in the last 3 months.. I plan on changing her doctor, just have to take her like 3x as far because there are no pediatricians in my town accepting new patients with my insurance
    dueinfeb2008

Answer by dueinfeb2008 at 12:19 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I would take your daughter to be seen by a gastrointerologist first. If that doctor doesn't see any problems with her digestive tract, you might want to have her tested for food allergies. Your daughter could have a food allergy that you are unaware of. Certain types of food could cause the problems that she is having now, and she is not able to tell you that it hurts her tummy. I hope this helps.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 2:13 PM on May. 11, 2009

• She may need to stay 100% off of dairy (not just off of milk). I'd expect Pediasure is full of milk and milk is in a lot of foods.
    The other thing you should ask for is a Gluten Anitibody screening. She could have Celiac disease.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:14 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I was thinking Celiac too. It runs in my family and that's how it is.
    TabathaM

Answer by TabathaM at 4:54 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I have found a natural product that might be able to help you. message me if you are interested in learning more.
    jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 10:02 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I would think it might be constipation... even if she is going once/day if it's hard she might be very backed up... especially on rice milk.
    Or like others have suggested, maybe celiacs... I would do a gluten free diet and see if it helps.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:58 PM on May. 12, 2009