Is it bad for pregnant women to be around people with Shingles?

I am 30 weeks pregnant and a co-worker of mine has shingles. This past weekend my mom, sis & MIL all told me to STAY AWAY from her - that it's very dangerous for pregnant women to be around people with shingles, even if I've already had the chicken pox. Is this true? If so, why? I put a call into my dr & I'm waiting to hear back from him, but I was wondering what you ladies have heard. Thanks!

BabyBumbleBee

Asked by BabyBumbleBee at 12:21 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Stay away from her for two full weeks! I'm 30 weeks, and my grandmother had shingles a few weeks ago. Both her doctor and my OBGYN said not to have any contact whatsoever for at least 14 days!
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 12:23 PM on May. 11, 2009

• About 13 years ago, my dr. told me to be careful cuz it was going around . But call your dr.....
    Anonymous

• I only thought it was dangerous if the pregnant woman had never had chicken pox. Is this woman allowed to work with something that contageous? Does it have to be covered? Do you work in close proximity to her? Can you just avoid being near her for awhile?

I had shingles this past year and it took a long time to finally clear up.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:25 PM on May. 11, 2009

• It's dangerous to pregnant women whether they've had chicken pox or not. The virus is easily spread by contact, so you shouldn't even touch anything that she may have touched! If you have to be anywhere near her at all, I would recommend keeping hand sanitizer with me at all times and avoiding common areas like breakrooms. It isn't airborne, so you should be alright, but I wouldn't take any chances where the health of my baby was concerned. I'm not trying to sound bossy, but I had this same scare just a few weeks ago, and it terrified me!
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 12:34 PM on May. 11, 2009

• It's dangerous for any adult really wither they have had chicken pox or not.

Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 1:04 PM on May. 11, 2009

• She has had them for the past 2 weeks, but they were getting worse at the end of last week, so she went to the dr today. I just talked to her and her dr said she should start clearing up by Friday, and she'll be fine to be around after that. But I am still waiting to hear from my dr on what I should do. I don't go to work until 2pm, so hopefully my dr will call back before then with his reccomendation.
    BabyBumbleBee

Answer by BabyBumbleBee at 1:10 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Hell yes!
    Anonymous

• Yes!!!!! my sister developed shingles (on her inner thighs and chi chi) when she was like 38 weeks pregnant. it could have been really bad if she would have went into labor while she had it. fortunately, they antibiotics were able to kick in and take over before baby made her arrival. it was kind of scary though.
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 1:45 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Just for precaution, I will stay away from her, I have heard taht you can get it twice if you didnt get it strong, dont know if it is true though.
    blessingAH

Answer by blessingAH at 11:43 AM on May. 13, 2009