Hypothetical ? for those that are pro-life...

To pro-lifers.... Lets say you were in a situation where your doctor told you there is a very good chance you would die if you carried your baby to term. Would you be ok with a judge or other law official with no medical training making the decision on whether or not you can terminate your pregnancy? This would be the equivalent of giving you a death sentence, would it not?

This is what would happen if abortion was officially made illegal. Are you ok with politicians, voters, judges, people who don't know you or your situation, making those choices for you????

metalcowgirl34

Asked by metalcowgirl34 at 12:26 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm a Pro-Choice-er here....(and YES, there IS a difference between pro-choice and 'pro-abortion')

While I understand that women do abuse the ability to choose; we can NOT regulate someone else's body!

Regardless of the reasons; once we allow the government to regulate our wombs, then we as a people will suffer! Lets say all abortion becomes illegal (unless 'medically' necessary), then what other types of medical practice would the government then regulate? Who deserves valuable and expensive medical treatment/procedures, how many kids a couple can have, or who can procreate, etc. There are already countries like this out there!

I say, stand up for your own personal beliefs, and pass those on to your children; BUT do not try and force those beliefs on others in the form of a law.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 2:27 PM on May. 11, 2009

• see i am pro-life and believe it should be made illegal for women to have an abortion because they can't afford raising a baby or are not ready to be moms or just don't want to be moms. THAT IS WHAT ADOPTION IF FOR.

i believe that abortion is acceptable for instances as you are talking about. if it came down that a life is risked then abortion SHOULD be done. there are also other instances in which i believe abortions may be considered.

if officials ever decide to make abortions illegal, they should still leave the loophole available for women IN NEED of an abortion..

2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 12:30 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I consider myself to be prolife but I can also see where there could be extraordinary circumstances that my require the termination of a pregnancy (molestation of a child resulting in pregnancy, a VERY real threat of death to the mother, etc...). So, to answer your question, I think that abortion should be against the law unless you can prove why it is NEEDED, not just why it's wanted.
    gabenmikeysmom

Answer by gabenmikeysmom at 12:31 PM on May. 11, 2009

• 2wndrfl btrflys, I see what you mean, but where would they draw the line exactly? If your life was 50% at risk, or 10% at risk? If one doctor says it's at risk and another does not, which should the judge pick to agree with? There would have to be all kinds of exceptions, and no matter how many exceptions there are, there's always going to be an exception to THAT! Why should you need to go to court to prove you should stay alive??
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 12:37 PM on May. 11, 2009

• When I was preg. with my first child, I had the illness that makes you sooo sick and nauseous that I ended up 89 lbs. We were military and I flew home to be with my parents. The civilian doc. said that if I didn't have an abortion, this baby would kill me. I chose to continue to care for myself, eventually improving over time and delivered a perfectly healthy baby full term. So i've been there.

Next, a friend of our became preg. last year. She has a chronic illness and was supposed to never never ever allow herself to become preg. It was touch and go as far as how the delivery would go since she was not supposed to deliver vag. and had a C-sec. delivering a beautiful baby boy, full term. :)

So how many times does this happen that truly and woman would die from preg.? I don't know. But I chose life for my baby and now he is a wonderful 29 year old son that I could have terminated.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 12:45 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I was told I would die if I carried my baby to term by 6 different OB/GYN's. One doctor took me to court to try and force an abortion on me to save my life. I finally found a Christian doctor who said my death was possible but with careful monitoring and me staying in bed at the hosptial he thought I could carry my baby long enough so it could have life. I did that it was not easy only thought I would make it to 24 weeks. I made it to 37 weeks and had a healthy son. I took my son to the doctors office of the doctor who tried to have an aboriton forced on me. Told him he was a sick man and should have his license revoked. Later I made good on that and it was revoked.

I am part of a group of women who were told we would die if we did not have abortions. Some were late term. I would never murder my baby and as an awesome mother put it all on the line for my child. That is what a great mom does.
    Anonymous

• I am Pro-Life and believe it SHOULD be illegal for women to get abortions just for the fact that they don't want or aren't ready for a baby. There is always adoption which everyone ALWAYS forgets is an option. However I do believe abortion is okay in circumstances of rape, incest, or in the case that you stated, that the mother would die giving birth. However no doctor would ever no for 100% certain that the mother would die. They give cancer patients a "time limit" all the time and many people surpass it. So if abortion became illegal...which it never will...I agree with 2wndrfl btrflys that there should be a "loop hole" for women who would die giving birth, were raped, or the child was made out of incest.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:55 PM on May. 11, 2009

i believe you..i was saying that if there is a circumstance due to pregnancy that would risk your life then it is your choice whether you want to risk your life of terminate the pregnancy to save your life. but i don't like the idea of girls/women having abortions just because they don't want to have a baby. every baby should be given a chance at life..they deserve that. but as i said no matter what the percentage is, if a woman is told there is a chance they die if they carried a baby to term..cont
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 12:59 PM on May. 11, 2009

• then it is their choice to risk or not to risk.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

• I think it's wonderful those ladies here who said they could have died and had their babies anyway! :) I'm just pointing out that you can't force that type of decision on other people in the form of a law. I think even if there was a loop-hole for those who may die of the pregnancy, there would still be unnecessary casualties from judges not understanding the situation. Personally, it would scare the crap out of me having to wait for a government official to decide something like this for me. I don't think it should be a government thing.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 1:13 PM on May. 11, 2009