Do you honestly think there is a difference between breastfed babies and formula fed babies?

I honestly dont get why breastfed moms look down on formula feeding moms. I dont see how much of a difference it makes.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Good luck to you--you're not going to like the responses you get here.

I don't see much of a difference, but that's me.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:51 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I say yes and no. I breastfed my baby fully for the 1st 6 months. But because of work it got way to hard to pump and started her on formula during the day and then breast at night. I think breast milk is better, but only if the mother has heathy milk. I took the vitamins and ate healthy so my milk was very good. I think I had an inch or 2 of cream on the top everytime I pumped for at least 6 or seven months after the baby was born. But if the mother doesn't eat properly or take vitamins she is better off giving the baby formula, but those are just my thoughts. I think the bonding is great to with BFing. but I would never judge one way or the other. I had a very bad time getting my DD to drink from my breast and almost gave up from the pain, but she finally did and it was worth all the bloody nipples and clogged breasts, for me anyway. : ) I can understand both points and some formula is just as good.
    Savymom25

Answer by Savymom25 at 12:54 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Well, don't make us answer it, why don't you do the research yourself and see what scientists have found?

gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:54 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I think it's condescending for breast-feeding moms to look down on formula-feeding moms. Yes, I nursed both of my daughters, and plan to do the same for my son when he arrives, but that certainly doesn't make me a better mother that someone who feeds their baby formula. As long as your baby is secure, loved, and well-fed, what does it matter? I enjoyed bonding with my little ones while nursing, but you can cuddle just as well if they have a bottle in their mouth instead of a breast. Just do what is comfortable for you and your baby, not what everyone else says is better!
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 12:57 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I know there is a difference. I've done both and FF is not an option ever again. One of my biggest regret as a mom is formula feeding my older kids now that I have BF.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 12:59 PM on May. 11, 2009

• some moms that breastfeed not all.. think it's the only suitable way to nourish a baby. Not so. sorry I have seen alot of breastfeeding mothers that are so freaking prideful they won't give up on breastfeeding even if their child isn't getting the right nutrition.. not all breastmilk is liquid gold plain and simple. Formula feeding is looked at like some form of child abuse when it comes to the lactation nazis out there prepare yourself for alot of "breast is best" advice. I myself couldn't breastfeed and they made me feel horrible about it.
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 12:59 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I agree with Renee. I didn't breastfeed and I didn't know people were so "passionate" about it until I joined cafemom!
    Deidra08

Answer by Deidra08 at 1:01 PM on May. 11, 2009

• you honestly have no say in what you do...yo can want to breast feed all you want.....but some babiese refuse, no matter how hungry they are...and now formula is very close to breastmilk... i breast feed my daughter and plan to for the first year.... but thank goodness she came out ready to eat.... and eats well...
    iluvlupe

Answer by iluvlupe at 1:04 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Why do formula feeders insist breastfeeders hate the MOTHERS? It's the product. Instead of looking to start drama, do your own research and find out what the differences are. Formula isn't remotely close to breastmilk. One obvious difference between my daughter and some formula fed babies is she's alive.

http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/bf/supplement.asp
    http://www.breastfeeding.com/reading_room/what_should_know_formula.html
    http://babyreference.com/InfantDeaths.htm
    http://www.naba-breastfeeding.org/images/Contaminants.pdf
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/bf/bfoutcomes.asp
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 1:10 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Those saying breast milk isn't nutritionally complete or that nursing moms NEED vitamins are wrong. Stop spreading misinformation. You don't have to breast feed or even like hearing that it's the best way to feed a baby. But you should be ashamed for posting such false information on something you clearly know nothing about.
    Anonymous