Suicide...

I have heard many people say that Suicide is a sin and that someone that commits suicide will go to hell... Then in the same breath people ususally say that suicide is selfish...

If you really believe that they will go to hell, how can you think they are being selfish? I mean damning themselves to hell for all of time isn't very selfish... It's self hating but not selfish...

So, what are your real thoughts?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 1:00 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• My cousin committed suicide due to psychological problems. He did not go to hell. No matter what you Bible thumping people think..
    Anonymous

• I don't believe that suicide = a ticket to hell. Suicide is a sin just like lying and stealing. If those are forgivable, then why isn't suicide? I think it depends on whether or not that person has accepted Christ into his/her life. There are also those that have mental illness or grief they just don't know how to deal with.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:04 PM on May. 11, 2009

• They will go to hell and it suicide is still selfish. Those who commit suicide are only thinking of themselves and don't care at all or don't care enough about the people they will hurt by committing suicide.It is not a 1-way street. Just because you are doing something that condems you to tell doesn't mean your actions aren't still selfish in other ways. A man who murders his x-girlfriend because he is jealous of her new boyfriend is going to go to hell but his actions for murder were still selfish.
    Anonymous

• I can see why people say it is selfish. Think of the anguish they are putting on the ones they leave behind. Not only have they lost their loved one, but they are left to think about it. To be tormented by what they did and didn't do, what they could have done, and why it happened.
    Suicide is stupid. It's a cop-out, I think. A way not to have to deal anymore.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 1:06 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I have no idea if someone goes to hell for committing suicide, heck, I don't even know if there is such a place. What I do know is that anyone who commits suicide has a mental illness that should be treated. After living with XH who was suicidal for years, I will say that if you are going to do it, do it, rip the bandaid off quickly for those you are torturing by threatening, otherwise, get help and stop tormenting those that love you.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:07 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Anon...can you back that up with scripture? Just curious as to why you believe the way you do, that's all.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:07 PM on May. 11, 2009

• *And yes, I know some people just can't help it- there is mental illness. But that doesn't excuse people from murdering others (in my mind), and it doesn't excuse them from killing themselves, either.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 1:08 PM on May. 11, 2009

• yikes, See I always thought it was selfish. I guess I thought that it was taking the easy way out in a way (even though death is not always easy) because it was harder for the "person" to deal with real life issues, leaving people that love them and even sometimes children behind. I am on the fence with the selfish issue. As far as hell goes, got no idea cuz i think this is hell on earth to be honest. if there is a place worse off then earth than a lot of us are screwed. : ) no but to answer your question, I think there is still a chance (if this is all true) to get it right, so to speak, with god. I think that he see's you before you go and judges you then. I think you still have a chance to make it right, but thats just my thought, we could be all wrong about god and hell, and how would we know.
    Savymom25

Answer by Savymom25 at 1:14 PM on May. 11, 2009

• God is a righteous and just judge. He alone can send an individual to hell. He knows the condition of that person's mental condition.
    mommiejay453

Answer by mommiejay453 at 1:17 PM on May. 11, 2009

• ReneeK3...My beliefs on suicide and hell are not based off a particular scripture. I believe if you take the life of a person (not in self-defense) whether it is your own life or not, you are doing an injustice to God and basically slapping him in the face. You are taking on a "God-like" role in assuming you have the power to end a life when God should be only one who chooses when a life should end. That is why I believe people who commit suicide go to hell.
    Anonymous