help me ween from breastfeeding

my son is 11 months and the only way i can get him to sleep is to nurse him day or night he wakes up like 3 times a night and wont sleep tell im nursing he sleeps with me so i have no clue how to get through this i need help

navywifepam

Asked by navywifepam at 1:03 PM on May. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• I had this problem. You need to just stop the night time feedings. Feed him good before bed. Then, when he wakes up at night, just go in and comfort him- pick him up and cradle him a bit, then put him back down and say goodnight. He will probably cry a bit. Go in there from time to time if he keeps crying and pat his back and say soothing things. You should get to where you don't even pick him up out of his crib, you just go in and comfort him a bit. It will get better! Trust me!
    No more "comfort feedings" at night- night is for sleeping :)
    As for daytime feedings, if you're wanting to wean- I started by nursing morning, afternoon, and bedtime (3 a day) and giving her solids at lunch and dinner.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 1:18 PM on May. 11, 2009

• p.s.- I had three terrible nights with my daughter when I stopped night-nursing, and that was it. It cleared up and we met our goal!
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 1:19 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Make sure he is not havinga growth spurt cause they will eat extra at that time. If he is feeding at night and he is sleeping with you then i would get him out of the bed!! He can smell it and thus will want it. Then try feeding him well right befor bed it will take a while and be hard but you can do it!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:28 PM on May. 11, 2009

• the World Health Organization (much less influenced by the formula and dairy industries than American doctors) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months.
    If you are dead set on weaning, start by pumping and giving your child a sippy cup with breastmilk. After he turns one, you can transition him to water as long as he is eating a balanced diet. www.superbabyfood.com for more info.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:48 PM on May. 11, 2009