what do i do?

what can i do about a 19 month old boy who refuses to take a nap?

nikkicorbett

Asked by nikkicorbett at 1:12 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just like at bedtime, you put him to bed, when he gets up you tell him in a firm voice "It is resting time" and lead him to the bed, everytime after that, you just lead him to bed, and don't exchange any words, He will get the message after a few days of consistency...After you get him to lay quietly in bed for about 25 minutes or so, if he is still not sleeping, then allow him to get up and try again the same way the next day... Hopefully this makes sense.
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 1:37 PM on May. 11, 2009

• My son is the same way I just keep him up all day and put him to bed early around 7:30
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 1:13 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Don't force it but it would be good for you if you could put him down for 45 mnutes or so even if he doesn't sleep. You need the break
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:18 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I wouldn't force it either but I'd put him in his room everyday for at least a bit of quiet time. If he needs a nap, he'll sleep. Otherwise he'll learn to entertain himself for a bit and give you a break. As long as he isn't miserable without a nap, I wouldn't make too big a deal out of it.
    Anonymous

• Well if you like me, you look forward to nap time. I would just put him in his bed and let him cry. he will eventually fall asleep.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 3:23 PM on May. 11, 2009