Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My daughter has her Daddy's last name, which isn't my last name. If he and I were to not get married, could I legally change my last name so that it is the same as my daughters or is that not an option unless he and I get married (which clearly would be my first choice)

Answer Question

Asked by Alaynas_Mommy at 3:11 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (14)
  • You can always change your name. But it takes more paperwork and costs more money if it's not because of marriage.

    Answer by StarrMom2Xander at 3:13 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

  • My sister was almost in the same situation....except her DD's last name is hers in case they never got married (they didn't), but she is married to someone else. My only concern is...why would you change YOUR last name to HIS last name and you're not even married? I don't know why you would want to do that...and I don't think you would be able to. I would check into changing HER last name to yours. And that, you can do, I believe you may need the "ok" from her father. But that's what I would do. Good luck. :)

    Answer by Mammaof2girls at 3:13 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

  • It depends on the state but you should be able to go to the court house and change your last name but it will get you dirty looks when you do get married

    Answer by amandajoy21 at 3:13 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

  • You can change your name to anything you want.

    Answer by mamamom431 at 3:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

  • Why you don't add your lastname as a midle name to your daughter's?

    Answer by Mommie__Dearest at 3:22 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

  • Ask him if he will agree to changing her middle name to your last name, her hyphenate her last name. What about if you get married in the future to someone else and still want the 2 of you to share a last name? You are more likely to get him to agree to hyphenate her name with yours then a future husband, and do you want to hyphenate your name with your exes and your new husbands? I hope that wasn't confusing, but it's the issue I'm coming to soon.

    Answer by abby_dylan at 3:26 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

  • you can change your name to whatever you choose but court fees are so high right now that if you are planning on marrying him i would just hold out until then because hey that comes along with him!!

    Answer by crissy386 at 3:29 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

  • LOL! I'm about to do the very same thing.Costs $80 here.

    Answer by PiscesRooster at 3:37 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

  • after some time you are common law married and you can start signing your hame as Mrs. so and so At least that is how it is in ALABAMA

    Answer by Brneyedphotog at 4:13 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

  • I don't think you should change your name to his, unless you do get married. I don't think there is anything wrong with your daughter having his last name, but if it really bothers you, just change it back to your last name or hyphenate it. Up to yo though, just my opinion. Im in the same situation, with my daughter having her father's name, and we never got married. Goodluck with whatever you decide girl!

    Answer by amoremio at 4:33 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.