How much Tylenol to give to 2 month old?

My DD is going to her 2 month appointment this Friday and will be getting 4 shots. One of my friends said to give her infant's Tylenol beforehand to lessen the pain of the shots during the appointment and also because the baby will be sore afterwards where the shots were given. Has anyone done this and if so, how much Tylenol do you give to a 2 month old? The box doesn't say specifics for babies under 24 months. My DD was 8 lbs, 5 oz at her 1 month appointment so I'm guessing she may be between 9-10 lbs now.

JasminesMom314

Asked by JasminesMom314 at 1:28 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i think only half a dropper....thats what my dr. told me, but call yours and double check!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:32 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Call the doctor for the proper dosage...don't rely on CafeMom =) We're all experienced mother's here but dosing and stuff changes all the time. Things that were once considered ok might not be ok now. Better to be safe than sorry.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:34 PM on May. 11, 2009

• you give her 0.4 ml. it is the most you can give her at this age. i always gave my kids tylenol before they went to get their shots. but do it one hour before the appt so the tylenol is working when she gets the shots. it wont lessen the pain of getting them. she will still cry like hell and so will you.

even though the box does not specify, i always did it and you give them the least amount on the dropper which like i said on mine is 0.4ml.

also while you are waiting for them to give her the shots massage her thighs. it loosens the muscles so it doesn' t hurt as bad, but will still hurt. good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 1:35 PM on May. 11, 2009

• You have to go by the childs weight, call and ask the Doctor or Nurse in regards to Tylenol. I always gave my kids when they were babies "sugar water" which is really a high concentrated sucrose solution called Sweet Ease before any painful procedure, and it does help. You might ask the pediatrician for some Elamax (4% topical Lidocaine), but this must be put on about an hour before the shots. Hope that helps.
    mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 1:55 PM on May. 11, 2009

• My girl just had her 2 month shots last week and my doctor said to give 0.5ml, or a half drop.
    But depends on how many mg per drop it is. I had the 80mg tempra.
    I would really call your dr and ask, don't want to give her little system too much
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 2:21 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Um ask your doctor. Seems like a no brainer to ask a doctor than a group of moms and people pretending to be moms.
    Anonymous

• it depends on how much she weighs... if you think she is 9 pounds she would get about .4 mL (it's better to get a 1 mL syringe for a baby this age rather than guessing with the dropper ask the pharmacy to give you a few)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:12 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Ask your doctor for a chart of drops according to age. It will tell you how much to give if necessary.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 11:02 PM on May. 11, 2009