19month old development. Please help especially SAHM

Hi, I just wanted some topics that you guys cover with your children. I have a 19month old DD and would like to know what topics/activities should I be covering with her. This is my first child and I do not want her to be like my sister's kids and raised on TV all day. Things like talking to them constantly, explaining their actions, why am I doing this and that, etc. Please help. I want her to be well-rounded because I do not plan to sign her up for preschool until she is about 3. I will take any advice into consideration.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:42 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Work with her on color, shapes, numbers, her alphabet, work with tying and untying things, how to dial 911, What her full name is, what your name is and your husband or SO. Work with her on your address and phone number. How to hop on one foot, counting. YOu can play hide and seek with her, hop scotch, do lots of art projects, teach her to use scissors, you also can teach her opposites, and the sounds letters make. Teaching her and telling her why things are bad is great too. you don't need to explain everything to her at this age but if she does something wrong telling her why its wrong and not just saying no will help. Join a play group so she can interact with kids her own age, do lots of outdoor activities like the zoo or parks.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 1:47 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Just play with her! While you're playing, describe things...it's not a ball, it's a "blue ball". It's not a block, it's an 'A block" she's building with. (and add in whatever color the letter is, too if you want!)

Architectural building blocks allow using shapes and colors.

Coloring books, drawing, crafts, playgroups, library, zoo, etc. Just play with her.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:21 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I agree with just playing with her. At 19 months, the world is still all new. Talk about shapes and colors. Take a walk and let her explore her world. Explain what she's seeing particularly as it relates to colors, shapes, etc. Joining a playgroup (or starting your own) is great because she can interact with other kids (and you with other moms). Coloring, etc are also great. You don't need to have a lot of really structured activities just yet but now is the time to start to have her sit and do something with you. Could be a puzzle or a pretend activities, etc. Just don't stress too much about "learning" vs just simply playing.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 2:34 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Play is the biggest thing. You can also have her "help" around the house. She can be in charge of finding all the socks in the basket of laundry and matching them. She can wipe things with a cloth when you clean the bathrooms.

For other ideas, the website www.LetterOfTheWeek.com has infant and toddler sections. Just be sure that you do NOT have any "sit down and learn" type lessons. Keep everything play oriented. Flashcards, workbooks, and "listen and pay attention" can wait until grade school.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:40 PM on May. 11, 2009